Humidity Tips!

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I cannot get humidity up past 60%!! I have a reptifogger but if I leave it on it fills the cage with white mist and I can't see through. Which I know can't be good. Basking is almost 100 during day and around 80 at night. I placed some moss (fake moss) in the cage and wet it down pretty good. I also stirred up the substrate (Eco earth) and the moss is under the basking light so it gets warm.. I am afraid to put any standing water in because Phillip is so little.

Any help is appreciated. If I need to buy a new setup let me know. I can spare $30 on a new setup. I already have lights and dirt etc.

Also, I take Phillip outside for at LEAST an hour and a half a day. He eats some grass and I give him attention. He is always supervised.

Also, the substrate sticks to his everything. His shell, his legs, and his head. Why? I soak him twice a day for 15 mins.

Hi is somewhere between 1-8 months old. I just got him two days ago and everything is fine.

This is the first hatchling I have gotten w/o him being a rescue.

Also, he loves to bury down. His substrate is 2" deep on the cool side and 4" deep under the basking light.

Attachments

• 1402713580992.jpg
    1402713580992.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 47

Turtlepete

South Florida
What kind of setup do you have? If possible, change all your substrate to long-fibered spaghnum moss. It's the best substrate I've found for young red foots, and holds humidity great, plus they love to burrow. It also doesn't stick to them, so they don't drag it onto their food or into their water bowls.
Also, cover the top of the enclosure with soaked towels if possible. Seal almost all places where air will escape, but leave a small vent. This keeps the humidity very high. 90+%, which is where you want it.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Okay I will. I only have open tip enclosures other than a ten gallon. I could put him in a ten gallon until I could get something else. Last time I had sphagnam moss my adult redfoots ate it.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
I keep foil on the top of mine around the lights. My humidity never drops less than 80% (and it rarely gets that low). And my little guy took a couple little bites of moss when I first got it, then stopped (guess it didn't taste very good lol). I have the sheet moss. The wet towels is a good idea...

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
I was always told to always have standing water available to them, I just got a hatching he is honestly 1 inch or less and he has a water bowl and he loves it, it just needs to be shallow, at that age they can dehydrate very easily, just my opinion

Turtlepete

South Florida
Okay I will. I only have open tip enclosures other than a ten gallon. I could put him in a ten gallon until I could get something else. Last time I had sphagnam moss my adult redfoots ate it.

I've only had a couple hatchlings ever nibble on it (the adults are more likely to eat it, I bet). They never really eat much of it, and they decide quickly they don't like it. Won't hurt them.

Sariss

Collingwood, Ontario
I have a wooden tortoise table so it has a HUGE open area. I covered it with a shower curtain, to allow for airflow. Humidity is consistently at 75-80 now.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I have the tops completely covered with foil except for the spots above the light fixtures that allow air in and out. The humidity however stays at around 60%. I have a reptile fogger but will leaving it on hurt the tort? I have it where it runs right under the heat lamp so it doesn't cool down the air too much. I have a total of three lamps. A basking and two CHEs. I have a thread open about my enclosure called "How is this setup"

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ok you can try this . Get some pond liner . Line the inside of the table . Then and some rocks . Then go to home depot get a honey comb lighting fixture cover rap it with window screen . Then place it on the rocks . Then pour about two inches of water . Then cover with substrate . Put your lights back in . Put a humidity meter right on the substrate and see what you get . Should hold a steady humidity levels at substrate level without making everything all wet . Yoi can also tie rap heat rope to the fixture cover to get the water to evaporate quicker. Thus making more humidity . Or just get a humidifier .

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
He is not in a table he is in a glass tank. Its 4' long and just over 1' wide. I think its a 60 gallon? I have pics of his setup in a thread called "How is this setup"

The walls are always covered in condensation.. I wonder if my gauge is broken!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If the walls are covered with condensation your meter is bad .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Home Depot had some good meters for ten dollars .