Help please, Sick tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeedubb

5 Year Member
Hey guys, first time tortoise owner here and im in need of some advice.

I got my tank all set up for a baby cherry head red foot tortoise that i was planning on buying
- sand and spanghum moss substrate with some forest moss on top to help keep the humidity, Heat lamp with the basking area at 85-90 and cool down area around 75-80. Humidity at 75%

So my problem is that i went to a reputable breeder, checked out the 6 month old tortoise. Everything looked good, he was active, walking around and they said he just finished eating (they were feeding 20 more tortoises at that time), eyes looked clear no raspy breathing.

We took him home and immediately put him in his cage and left him for the night to try and get used to the cage. Came home aafter work, and he was just sitting in his hide so i thought i would feed him.

He would not touch the food, now he just lays there with his eyes closed all day, i dont think he would move all day. Took him out to give him a mild soak, and he opened his eyes and moved his head around a little but wouldnt walk around or anything. Very lethargic it seems.

Im just wondering if maybe he was just stressed out of being moved and getting used to a new enclosure?? has anyone had this issue with there redfoot tortoises before?i just really hope he isnt sick cause i would be devastated.

thanks guys!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). First off, forget the sand, it can cause impaction. Be sure you are not using a coil bulb, they have, can and still do cause eye problems. Also, get a good tool for reading temps, not those disc things they sell at most pet stores, they are not very accurate. Then make sure your temps are correct. Give your tortoise a nice warm soak for about 20-30 minutes. Let him settle a bit, they do need some time to get used to their new home. Soak him every day in a warm water soak to make sure he stays hydrated.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I agree with Barb on all points especially with the sand and cfl bulb (if that's what you're using). A picture of the enclosure could help out a lot. I've read that torts have difficulties with any type of change, but I don't think your little one should have its eyes closed for most of the day. If he keeps up with the inactivity, try boosting your ambient temps. Keep us posted!

Mikeedubb

5 Year Member
Not using a CFL bulb im using a 150w daylight basking light.

I will toss out the sand if thats what you guys think, ill update tomorrow after work and see if hes gotten any better! thanks for the quick replys.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I don't think the sand is the immediate cause for your tort's behavior. We were (I was) just suggesting that there are less potentially harmful substrates that you can use. Removing the sand probably won't generate a change in activity levels.. but, I'm no expert. Hopefully, more experienced members can help out. Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It sounds to me as if you are trying to get a low-light tortoise to function properly in an high-light situation. If you are stuck on using the light you bought, then add many, many plants into the habitat to cut the glare and give the tortoise a more comfortable, shady habitat.

Until you get him to keep his eyes open, give him warm soaks daily for about a half hour.

Mikeedubb

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
It sounds to me as if you are trying to get a low-light tortoise to function properly in an high-light situation. If you are stuck on using the light you bought, then add many, many plants into the habitat to cut the glare and give the tortoise a more comfortable, shady habitat.

Until you get him to keep his eyes open, give him warm soaks daily for about a half hour.

well the only way i can keep the temps up to 85-90 in the basking area i with the light i have, he has hides and a cool shady side with hides on the shady side as well. ill get some plants though for sure.

Mikeedubb

5 Year Member
Hey guys so I took a picture of my red foot along with his cage.
I also took a picture of the bottom of his shell. Does he look healthy????

20130925_111153.jpg
20130925_111453.jpg
20130925_111503.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikeedubb

5 Year Member
hey guys, any help would be great.

I took the sand out, now im using peat moss on the bottom and then cypress mulch on top, temps in the basking area are around 85-95 and the cool side is around 75.
humidity is always around 80-90 %

yet i have still not seem the litttle guy walk more than 2 steps, he only has had his eyes open for a couple seconds that i have seen, and he just sits in the same spot all day and doesnt move.

He wont eat since i have gotten him and its been around a week so im getting really concerned. i have tried his juivenile tortoise food mushed up and he wont touch that, he wont touch tomatoes,kelp,strawberrys or anything.
he just sits there and stares at it.

Any help would be great as im starting to get worried.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would make sure to keep your temps no lower than 85 ish as overall temp and the basking spot can go to 100....I would not let the night temps drop below 80...if this means the use of a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) or a black night light then you will want to acquire one...if the bulb you have for uva/uvb is setting atop the screen top that traditionally comes with the tank--it is filtering out a large amount of the rays....also, the substrate will really be better if it is deeper (like 5 or 6 inches well packed down with your hand) as this will allow your tort to dig in and feel safe....I also would not wet the entire substrate until you get your temps set and going...you do not want this baby to get a chill and get ill....

Quiet time when a tort gets to a new location is important....a tort will be still alot more and be less adventurous when in a new surrounding...but I would not discount to that until you make a few tweaks to your set up...

Mikeedubb

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I would make sure to keep your temps no lower than 85 ish as overall temp and the basking spot can go to 100....I would not let the night temps drop below 80...if this means the use of a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) or a black night light then you will want to acquire one...if the bulb you have for uva/uvb is setting atop the screen top that traditionally comes with the tank--it is filtering out a large amount of the rays....also, the substrate will really be better if it is deeper (like 5 or 6 inches well packed down with your hand) as this will allow your tort to dig in and feel safe....I also would not wet the entire substrate until you get your temps set and going...you do not want this baby to get a chill and get ill....

Quiet time when a tort gets to a new location is important....a tort will be still alot more and be less adventurous when in a new surrounding...but I would not discount to that until you make a few tweaks to your set up...

I have a heating pad need neath one of the hides that keeps it quite warm in there at night but he doesn't ever move. plus I have a red night bulb that is on at night as well. Temps are never below 75

What would be another option for the light nstead of having it on top of the screen? I don't see another option.

Any help would be great thanks a lot!

Mikeedubb

5 Year Member
I'm going to attach a picture of my tortoise. Can anyone tell if his eyes seem puffy or infected? I'm starting to get worried about him as he hasn't eaten at all in a week and barely ever opens his eyes or moves around at all. =(

Any help if greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20130929_124137.jpg
    20130929_124137.jpg
    848.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 20130929_124131.jpg
    20130929_124131.jpg
    855.5 KB · Views: 64

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
His eyes don't look right to me, but I don't have a cherry. What I would do is go out to Walgreens or Cvs and get some Pedialyte which is electrolytes in liquid form. I would warm it up and soak the baby in it with some carrot baby food also warmed up. Try that 2-3 times a day. Btw, is there anyone to care for this baby when you are at work? This baby needs care during the day or it may die! Keep the warm temps and heatings no lower than 80 degrees. Keep us posted.

The way to set a uvb light is straight down over the enclosure if you have a screen, move it back until the light is fully exposed and not covered by anything. A basking light isn't a uvb light. Your baby needs a uvb/a bulb which can also be used as a basking light. I like a mercury vapor bulb best. A 100w mercury is all that's needed if it gives the basking temp of 100 degrees.

Mikeedubb

5 Year Member
sibi said:
His eyes don't look right to me, but I don't have a cherry. What I would do is go out to Walgreens or Cvs and get some Pedialyte which is electrolytes in liquid form. I would warm it up and soak the baby in it with some carrot baby food also warmed up. Try that 2-3 times a day. Btw, is there anyone to care for this baby when you are at work? This baby needs care during the day or it may die! Keep the warm temps and heatings no lower than 80 degrees. Keep us posted.

The way to set a uvb light is straight down over the enclosure if you have a screen, move it back until the light is fully exposed and not covered by anything. A basking light isn't a uvb light. Your baby needs a uvb/a bulb which can also be used as a basking light. I like a mercury vapor bulb best. A 100w mercury is all that's needed if it gives the basking temp of 100 degrees.
Okay I will try this. Thanks for the help. And I have a 150w uva/uvb basking build for the basking area.

I leave for work at 7am.come home for lunch at 12 and then back home again at 530 so im there during the day at least a little bit

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I cut the screen away directly under my heat bulb. Which still didn't give me the temps I wanted. Ended up with a much taller tank, light fixture is in the tank with a blanket over the top of the screen to keep heat and humidity in. I tilted the light to shine over more of the substrate and to heat a bigger area, so there isn't a single hotspot. Once I put the light in the tank I only needed a 60 watt. These guys are solar powered, real sunshine is good for them.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I await for you to post how your tort is after the soak in Pedialyte and carrot food. I really hope he's doing better. Make sure you flush her eyes gently with warm water. I would add carrot sticks in her diet. Any veggie that has an orange color (pumpkin, squash, carrots) is high in beta carotene is good for vitamin A, which helps prevent closed eyes that can often be associated with a RI. Keep me posted. Thanks.
Mikeedubb said:
sibi said:

Okay I will try this. Thanks for the help. And I have a 150w uva/uvb basking build for the basking area.

I leave for work at 7am.come home for lunch at 12 and then back home again at 530 so im there during the day at least a little bit

New Desert Tortoise Mommy

5 Year Member
I just read ur whole thread I feel really bad people havnt ben responding to u as fast as u wanted. But there are knowledgeable people on here. I hope u please update soon

please and thank you

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
ascott has given you the best advise here yet. This is for redfoots. Redfoots need high humidity and warm temps. You must also soak daily in warm temps. I would also stay away from tomoates. Too much acidity. Have you offered greens? What about mazuri? Also be careful with your lighting. And do you have a hide for him? Rule of thumb for reds...nothing below 80* and atleast 80% humidity...90-95* basking ...at night i use a che. It keeps enclosure warm. There is a link below my signature for the tortoise library. I would suggest you do some research on your tort there. This is the best site that is out there so far.

Mikeedubb

5 Year Member
Hey guys so here's an update on him.
M changing his enclosure around with what ascott said. I bought a Che. 160 watt

He is still not doing very good. Eyes still closed and Very lethargic. Still will not eat at all or even move around on his own.
I called the vet and they said something must be wrong so Friday I made an appointment for 11am.They will diagnose what possibly is wrong. I will keep everyone posted and hopefully we I can help him out.
This really sucks because I thought I was buying from a reliable breeder but turns out I jist paid 430.00 for a sick tort. =( very upsetting

Status
Not open for further replies.