Help please, Sick tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
There could be several things going on here...first off...how long have you had this cherry? How long was he on the sand? How long were his temps below 80* and how long has it been since he has eaten? Have you seen him poop? Drink? How long do you soak, and what temp? I know these are lots of questions, but. May help...$430.00 seems to be a lot. Did you get a guarantee?

Mikeedubb

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
There could be several things going on here...first off...how long have you had this cherry? How long was he on the sand? How long were his temps below 80* and how long has it been since he has eaten? Have you seen him poop? Drink? How long do you soak, and what temp? I know these are lots of questions, but. May help...$430.00 seems to be a lot. Did you get a guarantee?

Okay so I have had him eight days now. He was on the sand for no more then 24 hours nail I changed it. I don't think his temps have ever gone that much below 80,lowest they have gotten is probably 75
He has not eaten since they day I got him. Today would be the eighth day. The breeder said he ate the day i got him. They were feeding all of there tortoises at this time.

I soak him for a half an hour each day with warm water. Not sure of the temp of the water. I have seen him poop a little bit but not much. He drinks a lot of water when I soak him everyday. And when he's in the water he opens his eyes and looks around but still doesn't move.

Yes it is a lot but You cannot ship them into Canada so getting locally is my only option. I have a guarantee but they said since he wasn't sick when I took him they will. Need to see the what the vet says before they can honour it.

Mikeedubb

5 Year Member
So in case anyone was wondering I was going to give an update on how he is doing.
I adjusted the temps in his enclosure so that the basking spot is between 89-97 degrees. With the cooler side between 80-87 (temps vary when I have my humidifier running into the cage because it is cool mist)
I took him out, let I'm soak for a bit and he was actually walking around and had his eyes wide open! A drastic change.

He still would not eat at all no matter how hard I tried. Bought an appetite stimulant that the vet advised me to buy. But he wouldn't touch that either. I've tried a lot of different greens but today I'm going to go to the grocery store and pick up some other options and see if he seems interested in them.

I put him back in his cage, and he was out of his shell, eyes open and he was walking around the cage a bit. He moved more yesterday than I have seen him move in eight days which is a good sign.

I'm still really concerned with him not eating. He is only 6 months old and he hasn't eaten in 9 days now which scares me. The vet appointment is tomorrow at 11am so hopefully I can get him to eat before then to give him some energy.

Does anybody have Anythng that the feed their red foot that they can't resist? I'll try anything right about now I just need him to eat!

Thanks

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
I have 2 redfoots and they love love love strawberries! Good luck with your baby, hopefully the vet can help. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TortForum mobile app

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
ascott said:
I would make sure to keep your temps no lower than 85 ish as overall temp and the basking spot can go to 100....I would not let the night temps drop below 80...if this means the use of a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) or a black night light then you will want to acquire one...if the bulb you have for uva/uvb is setting atop the screen top that traditionally comes with the tank--it is filtering out a large amount of the rays....also, the substrate will really be better if it is deeper (like 5 or 6 inches well packed down with your hand) as this will allow your tort to dig in and feel safe....I also would not wet the entire substrate until you get your temps set and going...you do not want this baby to get a chill and get ill....

Quiet time when a tort gets to a new location is important....a tort will be still alot more and be less adventurous when in a new surrounding...but I would not discount to that until you make a few tweaks to your set up...

Couldn't agree more with Angela, Barb, and Yvonne on this. That terrarium is okay as temporary housing, but you will need something larger very soon.

Mikeedubb

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:
ascott said:
I would make sure to keep your temps no lower than 85 ish as overall temp and the basking spot can go to 100....I would not let the night temps drop below 80...if this means the use of a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) or a black night light then you will want to acquire one...if the bulb you have for uva/uvb is setting atop the screen top that traditionally comes with the tank--it is filtering out a large amount of the rays....also, the substrate will really be better if it is deeper (like 5 or 6 inches well packed down with your hand) as this will allow your tort to dig in and feel safe....I also would not wet the entire substrate until you get your temps set and going...you do not want this baby to get a chill and get ill....

Quiet time when a tort gets to a new location is important....a tort will be still alot more and be less adventurous when in a new surrounding...but I would not discount to that until you make a few tweaks to your set up...

Couldn't agree more with Angela, Barb, and Yvonne on this. That terrarium is okay as temporary housing, but you will need something larger very soon.

I have a good update for you guys. This morning when I turned on the lights. (nighttime temp was 82 throughout the night)
He was out and about. Walking around his cage and when I came home for lunch I fond him climbing into his water dish. A great improvement from a couple days ago.

And the cage measures just short of 4 feet, with almost 3 feet wide. It should be big enough at least for a couple years or until I decide to start making my tortoise table.

He still hasn't eaten but I left some food out for him so hopefully he eats while I am at work.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
I have had good luck with strawberry's and a little mazuri tortoise diet soaked
the pellet till it is soft and finely cut up the strawberry and mix together, Your
red foot should go for that.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I know it is not recommended, but most will go for Romaine lettuce. Just to get him interested in food again.
Mine LOVE mushrooms. And banana. And most will go for bell peppers. I would chop these fresh veggies and mix any and all into a salad. Make sure it is served on a relatively flat, accessible surface.
Good luck with your baby.

Ann from CT

redfootHbadger

5 Year Member
No expert here. But when I brought my two home they hid all day for few days. They would sneak out and eat when no one was around. I think takes a bit with new home. I would let him hide all day if that's what he wants to do let him. I would not go and dig him out. I am just as paranoid as you when comes to my babies. But give him time let him get accumulated to his new home. Although the one picture of his eyes looked white and puffy. Bottom shell looks just like my babies. And I recently asked my breeders about it and they responded saying normal. I am not an expert just my opinionView attachment 57726

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I am just now seeing this thread. Good advise from the experts already. What I wanted to add is that being new to you can be stressful for the tortoise. I believe that until they feel safe and secure, their instinct says, he may eat me. So they hide and act dead. This is just my thoughts on things.

Warm water spa soaks with baby food added, carrot is great, as is squash, seem to help a lot of little ones. AnnV is right in that Romaine seems to be good get going food. Not the best, but for getting the eating started and for your baby to see you as the food god, it helps. Also strawberries, just one or two mixed into the Romaine, chop chop.

Keep the baby warm and humid and shady comfortable. I feel that it takes them some time to be sure of you. They think (or so I think) that they might get eaten so they withdraw from the stress of it all. Do not hover but do warm soaks a couple times a day and then feed. Warm soaks are very comforting to them (at least they were for mine) and then they eat.

Please keep us updated.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Did you try the Pedialyte I suggested? It's great because your tort don't have to eat it; his body will absorb the nutrients. And if he drinks it, that's even better! This electrolytes will help him stay well hydrated. You can also add carrot baby food in the soak. Believe me, you won't believe the difference this treatment will make!

Mikeedubb

5 Year Member
I have some very sad news guys, i woke up to take him to the vet and he passed away.. =( this is very hard for me as i tried so hard to help him, i tried everything in my nature and he was doing so good the last two days, (walking around,soaking in

i am just very upset that this happened..

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
sibi said:
Did you try the Pedialyte I suggested? It's great because your tort don't have to eat it; his body will absorb the nutrients. And if he drinks it, that's even better! This electrolytes will help him stay well hydrated. You can also add carrot baby food in the soak. Believe me, you won't believe the difference this treatment will make!

Actually- they do not absorb nutrients or water through the skin (reptile skin is waterproof- that is a defining characteristic of a reptile)- they absorb some water and nutrients through the soft tissues of the cloaca but the bigger value of a warm soak is that it often triggers urination, which in turn triggers drinking, where they get the most benefit from a nutrient-loaded solution.

(There is also a recipe for a home-made Pedialyte substitute at the Library- https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/health-and-medical/hydration)

Mikeedubb said:
I have some very sad news guys, i woke up to take him to the vet and he passed away.. =( this is very hard for me as i tried so hard to help him, i tried everything in my nature and he was doing so good the last two days, (walking around,soaking in

I am so sorry for your loss. When I saw the photos of the eyes, it looked like something was going on, but I was far too late to be able to offer any advice- not that it may have helped.

May I suggest contacting the vendor with this news and the photos of the eyes and see what he suggests or offers?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
My comment that nutrients are absorbed by the body was right on. I just didn't mention what part of the body and the process because I didn't think it was necessary at the time. I never said that nutrients are absorbed through the skin.

When giving advice to a newbie or someone not familiar with words like "cloaca" or "plastron" or "carapace," it would be best to be simple about absorption. The newbie is more concerned with whether or not something works more than the "process."

That's the problem with some of the members here on the forum. You nick pick at every word and forget what they're here to do. Mark, I always respect your knowledge and advice. I would appreciate it if you would do the same for me.

Madkins007 said:
sibi said:

Actually- they do not absorb nutrients or water through the skin (reptile skin is waterproof- that is a defining characteristic of a reptile)- they absorb some water and nutrients through the soft tissues of the cloaca but the bigger value of a warm soak is that it often triggers urination, which in turn triggers drinking, where they get the most benefit from a nutrient-loaded solution.

(There is also a recipe for a home-made Pedialyte substitute at the Library- https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/health-and-medical/hydration)

Mikeedubb said:

I am so sorry for your loss. When I saw the photos of the eyes, it looked like something was going on, but I was far too late to be able to offer any advice- not that it may have helped.

May I suggest contacting the vendor with this news and the photos of the eyes and see what he suggests or offers?

I too am very sorry to hear of your loss. Since you've only had him for less than a week, perhaps the vendor could replace the baby you lost...if even that were possible:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.