Humidity levels

Pameladale

5 Year Member
Hello everyone Ive been reading online and I never get a clear read on humidity for 3 toed box turtles and ornate box turtles what does everyone keep theres at? Is there such a thing as too much?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Having sufficient moisture in the substrate is what's critical. So is having a water dish.

Moisture in the air... Well, if your doors swell shut, you're fine. If all the wood is shrinking, add humidity. If you air condition, add humidity. If you use a wood stove, add water. That's my old house rule. Really, it depends on your climate. I can't give you a number because I don't use humidity gauges. (I have one built into my guitar case, but I never look at it, just keep the humidifier filled.)

mikeh

5 Year Member
3 toed, very high to moderate moisture and humidity.

Ornata, moderate to moderate low moisture and humidity.

Pameladale

5 Year Member
I live in canada our winter tempatures are like - 40 so unfortunatly I cant have them outside all year

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
There is such a thing as too much. Everything has to be in balance - temps and humidity. If you think of the habitat as a seed germination bed you'll get a nice moisture balance. Not wet enough to drown or rot seeds, but damp enough to sprout & grow; never dry for too long to wilt & die. You can actually grow grass or seeds from the veg you feed her in there. It'll get bulldozed, but it'll help you monitor the moisture.