3 Toed? Need Help Identifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

grzlysktn

5 Year Member
Hi everyone!
My husband found this colorful little guy in our backyard yesterday. We live in southern OK and usually only get ornate box turtles. I was wondering if this was a 3 toed? Or what type of box turtle it was. Also how do you tell the sex of these? I know the ornates you can tell by the eye coloring. Thanks for your help!
DSC05787.JPGDSC05785.JPGDSC05786.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area
From what i can tell you have a male 3 toed box turtle....here is some basic knowledge of them...3 toes on the back hind feet, long tails, red or orange eyes, indent on the belly, and the orange colorful face.....

He looks absolutely beautiful......most 3 toeds have drab olive to brown shells, but some also do have the spotting design.

mynewboy-1.jpg

here's my boy Charlie

grzlysktn

5 Year Member
jojodesca said:
From what i can tell you have a male 3 toed box turtle....here is some basic knowledge of them...3 toes on the back hind feet, long tails, red or orange eyes, indent on the belly, and the orange colorful face.....

He looks absolutely beautiful......most 3 toeds have drab olive to brown shells, but some also do have the spotting design.

mynewboy-1.jpg

here's my boy Charlie

He looks super cute. I love the red eyes! Mine seems to have brown eyes which is what threw me off as I didn't think that a female would have this sort of coloration? Thank you for your help!

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Yeah the eye color is what ppl usually swear by....females have been known to have the red eyes as well....do you think you can take a pic of the belly and the tail? that might help with identity.

grzlysktn

5 Year Member
FINALLY managed to get a picture of the tail :) the belly does seem to have a little indent in it too but the eyes are brown/yellow
Boy??DSC05803.JPGDSC05792.JPGDSC05799.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi GrzlyStkn:

Welcome to the Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

What a cute little turtle. I'm pretty sure he's a boy.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
yep you have a male!!....see that long skinny tail.....and I can see the little indent in the belly.....and the eyes are brown like a female, but definitely he's a boy!!....females have a shorter fatter tail....

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
terryo said:
Jo...I think this is the best way to tell. I've seen plenty of males with brown eyes

Yeah, I'm going to copy this diagram....the tail really is the best way to tell, now that I myself have a boy.

grzlysktn

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for you help! BTW i'm Nikki =o) We have a couple of Ornates here i've just never seen one colored quite like this guy!

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
austinl01 said:
terryo said:
A beautiful Male.

010-54.jpg

Nice diagram indeed! Yes, I agree he's a male too.

Question...Do ornate boxies have three toes too?

No the 3 toed box turtle gets its name from having the 3 toes on the back feet.....they are the only box turtle with 3 toes...

karlyholmes

5 Year Member
Definitely a BOY.... but not a three-toed its actually an Eastern :) I have an Eastern Female that just laid 6 eggs in the pen! She is way more active than my three-toed's. Beautiful coloring!

karlyholmes

5 Year Member
jojodesca said:
austinl01 said:
terryo said:
A beautiful Male.

010-54.jpg

Nice diagram indeed! Yes, I agree he's a male too.

Question...Do ornate boxies have three toes too?

No the 3 toed box turtle gets its name from having the 3 toes on the back feet.....they are the only box turtle with 3 toes...

Sorry, thats not true. I have an Eastern and she has 3 toes on the hind feet.

karlyholmes

5 Year Member
Kristina said:
Even some Three Toeds have four toes on the back feet ;)

Yes! That is very true I caught and released one once and it was def a three toed with four toes. Confused little guy haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.