Humidity levels for a baby red foot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Colony Texas!
What should the air humidity level be? For my 6 month old red foot? I can't find anything about this topic. Please help

apromann4

5 Year Member
philippines
Mine is around 89 to 99%

Sent from my S100 using TortForum mobile app

Some say 80% is good, some says higher the better, i tried to make it higher, its seems they become more active since then, before my humidity is around 70 to 80%

http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm
Check this site, best care sheet

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Like stated 80 or above. Just be sure the top layer of substrate isn't wet all the time. RF are more prone to shell rot.

abclements

5 Year Member
Do you have a closed chamber enclosure? If not, consider covering your enclosure in plexiglass, that will really really help you out!

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

apromann4

5 Year Member
philippines
Yap, abcelements is right, try to cover with plaxi glass, what your substrate? Spagnum moss hold moisture very well, i increase the amount of spagnum in my inclosure, almost 24 hrs in remain constant at 99%, i spray it with water twice a day

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I be the thorn in the bush. True RF’s need very high humidity , but those high numbers of humidity also must be met with steady high temps. A wet Rf in a cool environment is prone to RI infections very easily . And yes 80+ is the “ said optimal ” amount , but 65-80 is probably a more realistic number and still provide a healthy environment will no ill effects.

apromann4

5 Year Member
philippines
N2tort, thanks for correcting, what will be the right combo on temp and humidity, usually room temp in our country is 27' c, in my enclosure average is 29' to 30'c, cool part 27', but when noon time, the hottest is 32' c, humidity is almost constant at 98 to 99%should i lower the humidity?? Thanks

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
The Colony Texas!
I guess I'll try plexi glass. No closed chamber yet.
Anyone got a price estimate for plexi glass? 4x2 are my measurements

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
apromann4 said:
N2tort, thanks for correcting, what will be the right combo on temp and humidity, usually room temp in our country is 27' c, in my enclosure average is 29' to 30'c, cool part 27', but when noon time, the hottest is 32' c, humidity is almost constant at 98 to 99%should i lower the humidity?? Thanks

High humidity is deffinitly on the top of the list ....but
I'm not correcting ....just stating what works for me and the "real" numbers obtained in captivity not just a " said number" in a book.
:D

PS.
Tupac -your plexi glass is about 45 bucks for that size ( plexi glass gets very spendy the thicker the material is ..)

abclements

5 Year Member
At ace hardware I paid 2 cents per square inch for the thinnest plexiglass they had. You could also go the less expensive route and find a way to make a "tent" like structure and cover it with tin foil or plastic wrap. It does the same thing but just doesn't look as nice.

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
The Colony Texas!
abclements said:
At ace hardware I paid 2 cents per square inch for the thinnest plexiglass they had. You could also go the less expensive route and find a way to make a "tent" like structure and cover it with tin foil or plastic wrap. It does the same thing but just doesn't look as nice.

I have a tarp setup, it is a regular black trash bag and a quilt, it keeps the floor humidity in but not so much the air.

abclements

5 Year Member
Is there any way to seal it down partly?

InvertaHerp

5 Year Member
Wouldn't plexi melt, under high heat from a basking lamp etc? A teacher offered to help me cut it, but I decided I didn't want to risk melting, and was going to get custom cut glass from a shop near me.

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
The Colony Texas!
abclements said:
Is there any way to seal it down partly?

I can try to tape it down, the trash bag. But the cover i dont think so..
I am going to make a closed chamber, and its going to be a nice size. How do you hang the UVB strip lights? Is it mounted to the wall in a way?

apromann4

5 Year Member
philippines
It will not melt, cut a whole large enough with a few inches larger than your basking light

Status
Not open for further replies.