Red Foot Tortoise Dry Skin

Aimee Pearson

My son has a young (1 year old) Red Foot Tortoise, and recently (two days ago) was giving a three year old Red Foot. My concern is the three year old looks to have dry skin, and I was wondering if there was an ointment we should be using to help this little guy out. Both animals are in separate tanks, Substrate, heat, and humidity are closely monitored. We have soaked him, but is there anything else you would recommend?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Do you soak your RF in warm water?
Between soaks and humid enclosures there should be NO need for anything else.
What is the humidity in the enclosure (s)?

theguy67

10 Year Member!
My son has a young (1 year old) Red Foot Tortoise, and recently (two days ago) was giving a three year old Red Foot. My concern is the three year old looks to have dry skin, and I was wondering if there was an ointment we should be using to help this little guy out. Both animals are in separate tanks, Substrate, heat, and humidity are closely monitored. We have soaked him, but is there anything else you would recommend?

I don't believe dry skin will cause any short term issues. Once you soak him, and get him into the proper habitat, he will improve on his own.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
More soaks and proper humidity will make it better over time. It took time to get all dried out and it's going to take time to get hydrated properly again

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If in tank your talking fish tank, they need a bigger enclosure. Unless you have a fish tank that is around 100 gallons then it's not big enough for a 3 year old and even a one year old needs more room thrn most tanks can give