Humidity in Fort Collins...none!

MalB

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Collins, Colorado
Hi everyone, I purchased my precious red foot from a young family who couldn't take care of her anymore. She's one year old and sl becoming one of the loves of my life! I read that a humidifier is essential to keep the humidity up, and I've read that we shouldn't use humidifiers for various reasons. Anyone else live in Northern Colorado? I would love to know how you manage giving your tort the what is needed. Thank you.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
@ZEROPILOT should be able to help you. Welcome to the forum and thank you for taking in the tortoise. Please attach pictures when you can, if you want too.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello and welcome
You're correct.
Humidifiers aren't a great idea.
If you construct a "Closed Chamber" enclosure. A mostly sealed greenhouse or terrarium type system with an Orchid bark substrate and pour some water into the substrate, that water will give off humidity as it evaporates.
Redfoot will need a T5 HO strip florescent UVB lamp. A 5.0 or 6% can supply your daytime light and uvb.
Your temperature range is from 80 to 88. The ideal temperature is about 82-84.
Your humidity needs to be over 70%
For heat you can use a CHE day and night since it gives off no light.
Do a forum search for CLOSED CHAMBER ENCLOSURES. You can probably get an idea there that suits your situation.
AVOID any pet store supply purchases until you know what to buy

MalB

Fort Collins, Colorado
Hello and welcome
You're correct.
Humidifiers aren't a great idea.
If you construct a "Closed Chamber" enclosure. A mostly sealed greenhouse or terrarium type system with an Orchid bark substrate and pour some water into the substrate, that water will give off humidity as it evaporates.
Redfoot will need a T5 HO strip florescent UVB lamp. A 5.0 or 6% can supply your daytime light and uvb.
Your temperature range is from 80 to 88. The ideal temperature is about 82-84.
Your humidity needs to be over 70%
For heat you can use a CHE day and night since it gives off no light.
Do a forum search for CLOSED CHAMBER ENCLOSURES. You can probably get an idea there that suits your situation.
AVOID any pet store supply purchases until you know what to buy
VERY Helpful. Thank you.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Here is my mini greenhouse put over a 6'x3' plywood tort table...the humidity stays between 85 and 90% and the temp is about the same. It is waiting for 4 RF babies...you can see some umidity on the plastic, one of the flaps was open and it's still hot and humid...DSCN1095.JPG
substrate is fine grade orchid bark. The black square thing is a heated panel used in chicken coops. There's an incandescent 65 watt bulb, a che and lots of plants. DSCN0987.JPG
DSCN0991.JPG
I'm in the PNW, not quite as cold as you...but cold enuf!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Here is my mini greenhouse put over a 6'x3' plywood tort table...the humidity stays between 85 and 90% and the temp is about the same. It is waiting for 4 RF babies...you can see some umidity on the plastic, one of the flaps was open and it's still hot and humid...View attachment 353365
substrate is fine grade orchid bark. The black square thing is a heated panel used in chicken coops. There's an incandescent 65 watt bulb, a che and lots of plants. View attachment 353366
View attachment 353367
I'm in the PNW, not quite as cold as you...but cold enuf!
Keep an eye out for mold growth on that wood

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Anyone interested in the greenhouse, amazon sells them. They're quite reasonable and come in different sizes.