Idea for humidity for red foots

Janelle Green

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
image.png I've been having people message me and ask what we're using to keep our humidity in the 80s, my husband made a humidity mister for our red foot out of a humidifier that has a section you connect a hose to , and the hose sits just up top right into the enclosure about 1-2 inches and we keep it on the low setting and it stays perfectly at 83. This is such a great idea as reptile misters and foggers are very pricey. We already had the humidifier from our baby's room , not all have the option to put a hose into so check that out first before buying one . We also keep a humidifier in the room where our Russian tortoise enclosures are and t helps with theirs as well. We live in Colorado so it's very dry here and we have to use humidifiers :) here's a picture of the brand of humidifier were using and the hose connecting to it

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
No reason that shouldn't work well up in the dry mountain air, but is there some reason you can't use a whole-room humidifier? We had ones that covered each floor of our house when we lived up in Laramie.

Ken

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Some keepers here use them and love them. Others of us have never used them. And there are some like myself that used them and then found that through "tweaking" of the habitat that it was no longer needed.
Granted I DO live in the tropics, but my house A/C is on 24/7 and the house air is just as dry as any desert air.
By making a true CLOSED CHAMBER enclosure, high levels of humidity can be kept. A closed chamber by design is a closed system. Closed off to most outside influences.
Redfoot dislike bright lights and don't need or want a lot of heat and in my humble opinion are some of the very best suited tortoises for such a system.
You may very well find that you do not need the added complexity.

Janelle Green

Colorado
No reason that shouldn't work well up in the dry mountain air, but is there some reason you can't use a whole-room humidifier? We had ones that covered each floor of our house when we lived up in Laramie.

Ken
Laramies kinda close I'm in Loveland to bad u don't live there anymore . I can't find many tortoise owners around here