Humidity for Russians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
I have read many different things on the humidity levels for Russians and am hoping to clarify. I have an adult (4-7) and am going to be getting a hatchling soon. What should each of their humidity levels be? Also hot and cool spots?

Check us out on Facebook
www.facebook.com/mrturtle527

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
This is something I'm curious about too. I spray down Vodka's cage a ton and I don't know if that's good enough for her or if she needs more or a closed chamber.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The hatchling will need a higher humidity level than the adult.

I'm assuming that you already know that Russians are best behaved when single.

The hatchling will probably need a warm enclosure with near 80% humidity based on some of the posts by breeders that have years of experience.

For adults, I try to maintain humidity around 60%. In my area the humidity will range close to 70% indoors in the summer; and their outdoor humidity will swing from 50% up to almost 100%.

Good luck.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
When my Russians are indoors, I try to maintain the humidity around 50%. I have two adults and two that are a little over a year old that I received as hatchlings. I did not use the closed chamber with 80% humidity for my hatchlings. They are nice and smooth. I kept the humidity hovering around 50%, had water available at all times and use basking temps 90-95F, cool side in the low 70's and let the temperature drop to whatever the house is overnight. I spray them daily and make sure the substrate underneath is moist. Moist enough that you can form a ball with it if you squeezed it together, but not dripping wet. I soaked them daily.

The closed chamber, 80% humidity advice is used for Sulcatas and Leos and I'm sure a few more :) I don't know if I've heard of anyone doing it with Russians. I know Tom was looking to start a group of Russians, I'm not sure which method he employed.

Status
Not open for further replies.