Humidifiers’ What Are They And How They Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
There are many different ways to raise the humidity in your enclosure or shall we say your tortoise's room. But first lets look at the types of humidifiers available and how they work .
Steam vaporizer
Often referred to as a "vaporizer," a steam humidifier boils water and releases the warm steam into the room. This is the simplest, and therefore the least expensive, technology for adding moisture to the air. Another advantage of this technology is that you can use a medicated inhalant with the unit to help reduce some types of ailments.
Impeller humidifier
In this humidifier, a rotating disc flings water at a comb-like diffuser. The diffuser breaks the water into fine droplets that float into the air. You normally see these droplets as a cool fog exiting the humidifier.
Ultrasonic humidifier
An ultrasonic humidifier uses a metal diaphragm vibrating at an ultrasonic frequency, much like the element in a high-frequency speaker, to create water droplets. An ultrasonic humidifier is usually silent, and also produces a cool fog.
Wick/Evaporative System
The wick system uses a paper, cloth or foam wick or sheet to draw water out of the reservoir. A fan blowing over the wick lets the air absorb moisture. The higher the relative humidity, the harder it is to evaporate water from the filter, which is why this type of humidifier is self-regulating -- as humidity increases, the humidifier's water-vapor output naturally decreases.
Warm or Cool Mist ?
For myself I run two different types ( if needed) and depending on the season . I live in a very warm temperate area not far from the ocean so humidity stays relatively high during the warm months. My Torts are housed outdoors all year , but have their own “ Shack” with access thru out the day and locked up at night. Some of the past winters have been cold and dry , which at that time is a perfect choice for a warm air humidifier….Solving two things at once~ adding moisture to the air and also providing heat.
A different scenario might be a hot dry summer, then a cool mist humidifier would be the choice.
As a reminder…..
Steam vaporizers can be dangerous if not on a secure flat surface out of the way of tortoises and also around children because they can cause burns and start fires if knocked over.
Happy Tort~n
JD~:)

Jeansie1988

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamilton, ON
Makes perfect sense about the warm/cool mist humidifiers. I am just looking up tips and such because i want to run a warm moisture humidifier in my red foot's enclosure for the winter.
thanks!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Jeansie1988 said:
Makes perfect sense about the warm/cool mist humidifiers. I am just looking up tips and such because i want to run a warm moisture humidifier in my red foot's enclosure for the winter.
thanks!

Sometimes "perfect sense" is the most over~looked.....;)
Hats off to you for doing your research!

JD~:)

Status
Not open for further replies.