Humid hides and other questions

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
So I have a few questions ,... How do you guys have your humid hides ? Will anyone send pictures please ? Any ideas on how i should make one or are they store bought ? This seems like a very important part of a tortoises life so thanks if you reply . Also , my humidity is usually at the right percents but sometime it drops down a little bit .. How do i keep this at ALL times ? I know you can buy humidifiers but will that make my house all icky and humid ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
To make a humid hide I get a black dish washing tub from Walmart for less than $2. I flip it upside down, cut out a door hole and put it over damp substrate.

To make maintaining your humidity very easy with dry substrate and without humidifying your whole house you need a closed chamber. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
Tom said:
To make a humid hide I get a black dish washing tub from Walmart for less than $2. I flip it upside down, cut out a door hole and put it over damp substrate.

To make maintaining your humidity very easy with dry substrate and without humidifying your whole house you need a closed chamber. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

Wow thank you ! I would get a small black dish today or tomorrow but its Black Friday ! Haha its gonna be so crazy ! :D

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Try dollar tree, they may not be as busy because they don't carry the higher priced items.

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
WillTort2 said:
Try dollar tree, they may not be as busy because they don't carry the higher priced items.

Oh yes thank you i will definetely ! Thanks so much :)

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
If anyone is wondering , I'm going to walmart today . They will still have Black Friday deals but they want be as busy :)

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
Anyone built a humid hide out of wood for a closed chamber? I have the urge to do some DIY this weekend.

New2reds

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Here's a pic of my "humid hide". It's a small clay pot right now since my red foot is young (a little over 3" SCL). I have a closed chamber with a CHE above the hide. I only moisten the spag moss in the hide every now and then since my humidity stays between 85-90 percent. My red foot loves this hide as you can see!! . ImageUploadedByTortForum1385822244.581129.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
jshaw9_ said:
Anyone built a humid hide out of wood for a closed chamber? I have the urge to do some DIY this weekend.

I haven't but i think it will be interesting to see how it turns out ! :p :D

New2reds said:
Here's a pic of my "humid hide". It's a small clay pot right now since my red foot is young (a little over 3" SCL). I have a closed chamber with a CHE above the hide. I only moisten the spag moss in the hide every now and then since my humidity stays between 85-90 percent. My red foot loves this hide as you can see!! .

This is a really good one ! Thank you ! I also have a terra cotta pot but he doesn't use it much

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
New2reds said:
Here's a pic of my "humid hide". It's a small clay pot right now since my red foot is young (a little over 3" SCL). I have a closed chamber with a CHE above the hide. I only moisten the spag moss in the hide every now and then since my humidity stays between 85-90 percent. My red foot loves this hide as you can see!! .

I also have my CHE above my humid hide but I have to constantly spray down the hide because it drys out to quickly . I'm working on getting sphagnum moss . Any ideas on how to prevent it from getting dry every hour or two without having to constantly most it with a spray bottle ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ashley_Sheldon said:
I also have my CHE above my humid hide but I have to constantly spray down the hide because it drys out to quickly . I'm working on getting sphagnum moss . Any ideas on how to prevent it from getting dry every hour or two without having to constantly most it with a spray bottle ?

That is a sign that your humid hide has too much ventilation. Half logs are not humid hides. A humid hide needs to be a small closed chamber with just a door big enough for the tortoise to fit through and damp substrate on the bottom.

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Ashley_Sheldon said:

That is a sign that your humid hide has too much ventilation. Half logs are not humid hides. A humid hide needs to be a small closed chamber with just a door big enough for the tortoise to fit through and damp substrate on the bottom.

Ok thank you

jshaw9_ said:
Have you tried coco coir?

Thats what i use

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
Humidity up to 83, just waiting for temp to heat up!!!

Currently up to 73 degrees and rising....may take a while..

Now up to 75f still 83 humidity

Humidity 84% and 77F slowly but surely

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386274781.551521.jpg humid & hot hide made from wood!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
jshaw9_ said:
Humidity up to 83, just waiting for temp to heat up!!!

Currently up to 73 degrees and rising....may take a while..

Now up to 75f still 83 humidity

Humidity 84% and 77F slowly but surely

Oh cool ! Good luck getting up to the right temps ! :)

jshaw9_ said:
humid & hot hide made from wood!!

Wow nice ! :)

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
Think I need to make some adjustments, dropped to 22c during the night.....feels like my carpentry skills are improving on a daily basis now!! I should have been a joiner!! :) haha