Humid Hides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirstie

5 Year Member
Hello,

Does anyone have any tips or advice to offer on humid hides please?

My tortoises Consuela & Diego are loving having nice coconut substrate stuff again and I was wondering how I could make it better for them.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Kirstie:

I made one out of a plastic hamburger basket...the plastic basket they serve hamburgers in. I cut a doorway out of one end, then I took fishing line and sewed the sphagnum moss into the top half of it. You can moisten the moss then daily just spray it through the holes in the plastic.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I used a plastic index card holder, cut a square in one side of it for an access point, sanded it so it wouldn't be jagged, and screwed a natural sponge into the top of it. I also use coco coir (mixed w/cypress mulch) so I put a small layer of it in the hide, mist it daily, and dampen the sponge with warm water... Phew that was a lot of info... Idea #1 sounds much simpler! :) My relative humidity in the hide stays between 85%-89%. Oh I forgot, and I hope I don't get blasted by TFO members for this b/c I know some of them hate it butttt... I place my hide over a ZooMed heating pad b/c heat+moisture=humidity. Please don't hate me! :D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Basically, you just set up a hide so there is a water source and warmth. Plastic box with a hole on one side (for the tort) and a sponge on a wall, positioned in the warm area, etc.

The Tortoise Library, linked below, has more articles and links on the subject.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Just make sure it is in a warm place. You can position it under your CHE light and/or your basking bulb. A piece of slate will collect the heat and help too if you put it on top of your hide and below the heat source.

Kirstie

5 Year Member
Wow thank you all for your ideas!

Haha don't worry I don't hate you; can't speak for others though! :)

I am a newbie at being a tortoise owner, I did so much research I thought I knew it all but I still have so much more to learn!

Your ideas were great & really helpful but if anyone has any pictures they could upload then that would be fantastic!

Thank you!

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
image-3110490444.png

I am trying to attach a pic from my mobile app now so not sure if it will work. What I have is a small storage bin type thing, about 12x6 inches in size. I cut a hole in the side for the tortoise, as small as it can be to help hold in humidity, also you can increase the size of the hole as the tortoise grows. Then I filled it with sphagnum moss and add water, I also have a heat pad underneath to help keep it warm and humid. I can take off the top whenever I need to check on him or spray the hide down.

Status
Not open for further replies.