How warm? (Outdoors)

aidenb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan, Canada
image.jpg It's finally spring here in Canada and the snow is all gone, what I'm wondering is how warm does it have to be to start letting a little sully outdoors again? He gone from 450g to almost 2 pounds over winter and he's ready to be out in the backyard again. What temps should it be reaching during the day for it to be safe to put him outside? I've attached a photo of him enjoying a treat of collards to get an idea of his size. He's about 1.5 years now.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Mines a year and a half too but weights about 8lbs. For her size, I let her out in full sun at 70-75 degrees no wind, no rain or wet ground. I read her shell temp with a temp gun making sure she stays about 80. I leave her out for about an hour at a time and bring her in. I don't have a heated night box done yet for her to retreat to so that's why its only an hour and not all day at her size.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Some of the worst sunburns I have ever had were received when fishing near Flin Flon in early June. That was quite a few years ago. The air temperature was cool (we had ice along the shore line), so that I didn't feel the heat from the sun. I would check the ground temperature with a temp gun and be sure that it is at least 75°F. Even then I would leave the tortoise outside for more than an hour at a time. When your tortoise gets larger it will be able to tolerate cooler temps more easily.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My enclosure is made out of 2 x 12's. So it is able to block much of the wind for my adult Russian. I use a temperature gun to check the temperatures around the enclosure and they are often 10 to 20° higher than the air temperature.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Depends on ground temps in your area in the spot you want to put the tortoise. Got a temp gun? If the ground there is 80ish in full sun you should be fine. Sometimes the ground will easily reach these temps on a 60 degree day. Depends on many factors.