Moving outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
Hi
I have a quick question
If I purchase a sully from a pet store, they are indoors. I believe the lady said they are 4-6 in.
I have built the outdoor enclosure.
Do you tthink it will be safe to move it outdoors, or do I have to still worry about cocci?

Oh And I forgot to mention
The enclosure is about 10 by 6 feet. The fencing is 2 feet tall
Will this be fine? just for a little while?
My dad said that by next spring, we will have the 30 by 8 foot enclosure ready

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Why are you worried about Cocci?
If your temps outside are not too cold yet, you can use the outdoor set up. But make sure you have a good secure area. Do you have a top on the enclosure? Heated box?
Before you purchase.. check the rescues near you and see if one already needs a home.. probably cheaper then the Pet store..
size is ok for now.. what are the walls made out of? post some pics??
And welcome to Sulcata Insanity!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where in the country are you?

I prefer to put mine outside during the day and bring them in at night. I just sleep better at night that way. My adults live outside with a heated shed, but I worry about them constantly. I usually don't move them outside permanently until they are around 12". There are lots of ways to do it, this is just my preference. As long as you keep the temps up, you shouldn't have any trouble with going from inside to outside. Since we are quickly approaching Fall, I'd wait until late Spring of next year, at the earliest, to make the move to full time outside.

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
I am in the process of building a heated den for him/her
The local rescue is actually charging more for a sully.
I am Looking at paying $140 for the petstore and about $200 for the rescue(supposedly its a personal pet of hers and wants that much(a profit orginazation too). And shes going to do an insane house check. I'm fine with that, but she wont let me adopt it since I'm not 18 yet but we(and myself) are financially capable. And my dad isnt too keen about dealing with her anymore as she was super sassy and mean. Understandable, but she acted as if I wouldnt know anything about it, even though I have experience and have you wonderful people for advice/help :)
I think the petstore is the best bet. And dad isnt keen about driving out of his way :/

I'm worried about cocci cause I read from a source that sullies at a smaller size get cocci and die. It wouldnt be nice if I lost a sully within a month. I'd be an emotional wreck...

I am in Modesto California.
I cant get a pic sadly, my computer is being dumb and not detected the camera... :(
Mom isnt keen about having a torty inside the house though. And indoors, my mom is very picky on the decor, a tort table just wont cut it for her
The backyard is my territory, as well as dads . lol
I can try to do maybe some insulation and a raised den off the ground just incase of rain. :/

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
You are in Modesto.. it will rain. I used to live in Hughson.. It gets pretty cold there too. Foggy too..
I would look at doing a loafing shed type design. Tuff shed makes them, so look them up and build something similar. smaller. shed/shelter inside an enclosure area..
The bigger the better for enclosure..
I hope your mom ends up liking him and allowing you to keep inside if necc at first or if its cold..
Id find a different rescue.. a real one.. that one sounds hoaky...and maybe you can look on Craigs list.. for more local one in need.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Ok I tend to be pretty up to date on terms but what is cocci?

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
I'll look into the tuff sheds.
I actually have a large plastic dog house in the back that is no longer being used(a stray cat gave birth in it). It looks like this

http://imgs.tootoo.com/77/0e/770e3313d693f8141df51af4c015e5c7.jpg

After looking at it, I can add in a heat pad, and or a heat lamp from up top. Then, I will add some clear plastic for a door to keep it insulated. And I can over it in tarp just in case.
And the dog house will be in my porch which is VERY well sheltered for the dogs and chickens I have.

My mom is firm on her word. She doesnt want the random decor, or the smell or tortoise indoors. Shes super mean about it.
And I know that dad isnt going to be keen about another animal indoors.
I have looked for rescues online and cant find a good one, or even one with sullies...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your plan should work, but you'll have to watch those temps carefully.

How would mom feel about a little spot in the garage? Just a little more protected and out of the weather.

I'm with you on the pet store thing. Rescues have not worked out for me either. I'm still looking for 2 or 3 females. That's not a bad price for one that size. Check with my friend Tyler at http://tortoisesupply.com/ before you buy. At the show in Pomona he had some really healthy ones that were totally smooth (this means they were started and raised right). You might pay a little more because of the shipping, but these were some of the best I've ever seen. All weekend long we used them as an example to show people what they SHOULD look like.

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
Hmmmm, I'll ask
BUT, my dad parks the convertable(we have a high car theft rate in Modesto :/) In the garage. I know we can work a possibly 5 by 5 space out, but would the car cause problems with the exhaust?
Also, can I just use a heating pad or will a heat bulb be needed too?
I know that we have sunshine in the winter almost daily for a little while.

I have been shopping around online, and may I say, he has BEAUTIFUL sullies!
But, I prefer to start off at about 4-6 in, just to be safe from Cocci and less escapes.
But, shipping isnt for me. And the juvis are almost always higher in price.
I know Im making it hard on people, but I just dont want to lose any... :(

Oh I know that this is a stupid question, but does their urine/ feces smell as bad as a dogs?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
PoisonOrchid said:
Oh I know that this is a stupid question, but does their urine/ feces smell as bad as a dogs?

:D A lot depends on what the dog is fed and what the sulcata is fed. I have one dog with the strongest worse smelling urine of any dog I have ever been around, so he would win hands down. The other dogs we have, don't have that level of smell. I vote the sulcata smelling more.

For their size my sulcatas can both poop more and pee more I would guess then the dogs (never actually measured them both to compare.) :rolleyes: On another thread somebody compared them to ponies and to me, that is pretty accurate.

With the worry of fall and heating VS your Mom's lack of interest, perhaps waiting until spring might be smart? Then you could get things fixed now and fixed correctly to start with, especially with wanting a younger sulcata.

P.S. Are the chickens going to be able to be in with the tortoise?

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
LOL
The heating isnt a problem I can work it out very easily. A heat mat, and a heat lamp if nesassary.
I still am wondering about the car in the garage issue.
My lil chihuahuas poop and pee smell TERRIBLE!
I usually give them Beneful, and I like to add in steamed carrots and veges 2 weeks.
But, its nasty.
My chickens are really weird. They are SUPER SUPER weird.
I had kept the tortoises with them, and they actually either run away or ignore them. But I have to see how it will work.
I also let my RES run out there and both the dogs and chickens dont care. They look at them, then mind their buisness.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If your dad leaves the car running for any length of time, then it might be harmful to a garaged tortoise. However, if he just starts the car and back right out, closing the door behind him, it shouldn't be a problem.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Depending on the size tortoise you end up with, the heat mat may not be advisable to use.

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
Nope. He backs right out.
But he parks it indoor after work at night(its about a 20 minute drive)
So I will have to do heat lamps. :)
No problemo! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.