Tortoise Transporting

speedyTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hello! We are getting ready to ship our 3 year old Russian Tortoise from Southern California to Raleigh, North Carolina using the shipping company Reptiles2You (https://www.reptiles2you.com/). Does anyone have experience to share with shipping their tortoise, or tips? Also, does anyone know anything about the Reptiles2You?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are used a lot and do a great job.
Just be sure to make it very clear on all sides of the container that there is a live animal and what side should be up/top.
Do not feed the tortoise the day before and day of but do soak to be sure well hydrated. Give plenty of substrate padding to absorb any potty accidents.

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
Thank you! Wellington, since you said they Reptiles2You do a good job, the survival rate of the tortoises is high, right?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know the survival rate. But I can say, out of all the tortoises that this forum as knowledge of that have been shipped, thru multiple sources, I don't know of any deaths. There has been a few delays of delivery, all that I know of were with FedEx.
I have shipped thru a couple sources, four adults out and received three tortoises in and all went well.

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
I don't know the survival rate. But I can say, out of all the tortoises that this forum as knowledge of that have been shipped, thru multiple sources, I don't know of any deaths. There has been a few delays of delivery, all that I know of were with FedEx.
I have shipped thru a couple sources, four adults out and received three tortoises in and all went well.
Alright, thank you. I had worried that tortoise shipping companies were not safe. Do you know if we should drill holes for our tortoise in the box?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can order the shipping supplies from the shipper.
But yes, if using your own box, it should be lined so no urine can soften the cardboard. Holes drilled on all sides towards the top of box. I like them just above where the tortoise can reach them.
There is signage that needs to be on the box. Look on the shipper sight for packing instructions and what stickers are needed on the box.

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
You can order the shipping supplies from the shipper.
But yes, if using your own box, it should be lined so no urine can soften the cardboard. Holes drilled on all sides towards the top of box. I like them just above where the tortoise can reach them.
There is signage that needs to be on the box. Look on the shipper sight for packing instructions and what stickers are needed on the box.
Thank you- we are ordering chipping supplies though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! We are getting ready to ship our 3 year old Russian Tortoise from Southern California to Raleigh, North Carolina using the shipping company Reptiles2You (https://www.reptiles2you.com/). Does anyone have experience to share with shipping their tortoise, or tips? Also, does anyone know anything about the Reptiles2You?
Reptiles2you is my preferred company. They are great! FedEx does the shipping, but reptiles2you gets you a huge discount on the shipping label and they also offer advice and supplies.

Only ship on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Drop the tortoise off at your local hub, not a store that does FedEx, but a HUB, about a half hour before the latest drop off time. Have the tortoise held at the local hub at the destination for pick up the next morning. Then you can pick up your tortoise when they open at 8 or 9 am, instead of having it bouncing around in the back of a truck in the hot sun all day.