How to make swimming pool safe?

TortieMoonshade

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa
I'm thinking of seperating my two leopard torts and I have the space, we have a massive garden that's divided into two by a gate but there's a swimming pool on the other side.

Is there a way to make the swimming pool safe so that I can put my one tort that side?

I could only think of fencing it off but that's expensive and it will limit how much space the garden will have.

Thank you ^~^

Attachments

• IMG_20240128_113806.jpg
    IMG_20240128_113806.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240128_113850.jpg
    IMG_20240128_113850.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can you post a picture of your two tortoises side by side for size comparison?

TortieMoonshade

South Africa
Can you post a picture of your two tortoises side by side for size comparison?
The bigger, more colourful one is Phoenix our female. The smaller brown one is Scooter our male. Both of them were rescued from squatter camps, Scooter a few years ago and Phoenix about a month ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20240128_144704.jpg
    IMG_20240128_144704.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240128_144716.jpg
    IMG_20240128_144716.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I would avoid the swimming pool area and look at dividing the non swimming pool area cost effectively.
Consider low fencing or a row of building bricks and plants to help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm thinking of seperating my two leopard torts and I have the space, we have a massive garden that's divided into two by a gate but there's a swimming pool on the other side.

Is there a way to make the swimming pool safe so that I can put my one tort that side?

I could only think of fencing it off but that's expensive and it will limit how much space the garden will have.

Thank you ^~^
Go to Amazon and search for "wood decorative fencing." You can place this just around the coping of the pool. Humans can just step over it.

_The_Beast_

Canada
I'm not used to seeing a swimming pool without a fence around it! Where I live, you legally have to have a fence around any above or in-ground pool (unless it's non-permanent/an inflatable). I thought the thread was going to be about converting a swimming pool into an outdoor enclosure. Creating decorative rock barriers that can also serve as borders for plants in between the two sides of the yard could be a good work around and looks quite nice with the landscaping you already have.

TortieMoonshade

South Africa
I'm not used to seeing a swimming pool without a fence around it! Where I live, you legally have to have a fence around any above or in-ground pool (unless it's non-permanent/an inflatable). I thought the thread was going to be about converting a swimming pool into an outdoor enclosure. Creating decorative rock barriers that can also serve as borders for plants in between the two sides of the yard could be a good work around and looks quite nice with the landscaping you already have.
Oh here in South Africa it's the opposite, you actually rarely see a pool with a fence 😂

Could work thanks ^~^