How to get the temp up

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicasully

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
I just bought some philips 65 watt flood bulbs and the temp in the basking spot is 80, cold side is 74. Should i run my che also to get the temp up or return and up the watts on my flood bulb?

Also Ive foiled the top of the tank and the humidity is at 60%.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
you have a few options.

some will raise/lower the bulb to increase the heat.

if your bulbs sit on a screen lid, then higher wattage can be used for higher temps.

or like you suggested, you can opt to run your CHE with the flood bulbs.

Which ever you do, just watch your temps to make sure you achieve the desired temps.

with humidity you should target for 80 on the cool side, 100-110 basking

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Another option is to use a lamp dimmer with higher wattage bulbs and che,It's been a while since I bought a che but if I remember right the cost for a 60 watt is about the same as a 150 watt or larger, as for the bulbs the larger wattage bulbs will last longer if the power is reduced to decrease the heat, but if you need more heat or less heat you can adjust it without raising or lowering the bulb itself by adjusting the power to it, either up or down. I am adding a pic so you can see the type of dimmers I use, they are very inexpensive and good to 300 watts.

jessicasully

5 Year Member
San Diego
Len said:
Another option is to use a lamp dimmer with higher wattage bulbs and che,It's been a while since I bought a che but if I remember right the cost for a 60 watt is about the same as a 150 watt or larger, as for the bulbs the larger wattage bulbs will last longer if the power is reduced to decrease the heat, but if you need more heat or less heat you can adjust it without raising or lowering the bulb itself by adjusting the power to it, either up or down. I am adding a pic so you can see the type of dimmers I use, they are very inexpensive and good to 300 watts.

Thank you for the help

My my question is, i have a che and a flood bulb. I see on the package its says for incandescent and Halogen. Will it also work on flood bulbs?

jessicasully said:
Len said:

Thank you for the help

My my question is, i have a che and a flood bulb. I see on the package its says for incandescent and Halogen. Will it also work on flood bulbs?

I see there is only one plug, do you think a thermostat would work better or the same?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Most flood lights are either incandescent or halogen, but if the yours are something other than these I am not sure if a dimmer will work, Their are some led bulbs that work on dimmers, but not all do, I use a separate dimmer for each appliance, I no longer use thermostats inside in a controlled environment , once I get the dimmer adjusted it stays at that setting,I keep the house and garage at 75 degrees 24 hours a day. I also use those indoor-outdoor thermometers with the separate sensors in most of the enclosures to keep track of the actual temps in each one, just in case there is a problem somewhere ,it will show up on the read outs without checking with the temp gun daily.

jessicasully

5 Year Member
San Diego
Len said:
Most flood lights are either incandescent or halogen, but if the yours are something other than these I am not sure if a dimmer will work, Their are some led bulbs that work on dimmers, but not all do, I use a separate dimmer for each appliance, I no longer use thermostats inside in a controlled environment , once I get the dimmer adjusted it stays at that setting,I keep the house and garage at 75 degrees 24 hours a day. I also use those indoor-outdoor thermometers with the separate sensors in most of the enclosures to keep track of the actual temps in each one, just in case there is a problem somewhere ,it will show up on the read outs without checking with the temp gun daily.

Thank you for the help, what kind of indoor outdoor thermometer do you use? sorry for all the questions im just use to the old school ways. sorry for all the questions

Len B

10 Year Member!
I use several different ones , LL Bean, Radio Shack, Acu-Rite, Equity, they all seem to work fine. My favorite is the Acu-Rite though.

Status
Not open for further replies.