How to convince your parents into a new tortoise!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PETlover234

5 Year Member
PLEASE I want one so bad!!! I have researched so much, and so far a cherrt-headed tortoise fits my need. I found one for sale in near us in canada! I picked out a 4x2x2 cage for him/her for 60 dolllars. I have done all my research, diet habitat size age health!

But then my parents say "NO! You can't get everything you want!" Wow spazzy lol! :(
HELP!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sorry, PET...as long as you live under your parent's roof, their rules will apply. To my way of thinking, you'll just have to curb your urge until you get out on your own.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
How did you convince them to buy you all of the Pet's listed in your signature? I am a parent and I would say if you show responsibility in taking care of your other Pet's needs, do well in school and keep your room clean that will be a great starting point. Good luck :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
PETlover234 said:
PLEASE I want one so bad!!! I have researched so much, and so far a cherrt-headed tortoise fits my need. I found one for sale in near us in canada! I picked out a 4x2x2 cage for him/her for 60 dolllars. I have done all my research, diet habitat size age health!

But then my parents say "NO! You can't get everything you want!" Wow spazzy lol! :(
HELP!!!

The most important lesson you will learn.

I think it is better to wait. Then when you are out on your own and settled, there will be no compromise. You can get whatever animal you like. At least until you get married.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
one of the few advantages to being an adult in the USA is the ability to do what you want and have what you want (all within reason of course) but it requires 2 things

1: You must be atleast 18 years old.
2: You must have your own place.

BINGO!

Life, Liberty, and the Persuit of Happieness!:p

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
The only way to convince your parents is to reason with them, on their level. This means that you need to make a responsible, adult decision considering all the variables before approaching your parents.

Some things to consider -

Who will be taking financial responsibility for the animal? Who will be paying for food, equipment, vet bills, and the increased electrical costs from the torts lighting and heating requirements?

What will happen to the tort when you move out or go to college? Many beginner apartments (studios and such) don't allow pets and dorm rooms almost never allow them.

Are you sure you have enough space for the redfoot with all your other animals?

Will the animal be kept in your space (such as your bedroom) or will it be kept in one of your family's communal spaces, such as the living room? Keeping your tort in a communal space could impact the rest of your family.

Do you have enough time to dedicate to a tort? With school, friends, caring for the other animals, and other obligations, do you really want to add more work to your plate?

Can you provide the best possible care that this animal deserves?

Make your decision carefully and try to consider all the variables. After some serious thought, if you still think getting a new tort is a good idea, explain to your parents how you have considered the above questions and how you've come to a mature decision about purchasing a new pet. Carefully listen to you parents' objections and consider their concerns. Taking responsibility for your decision in a mature, respectful manner goes a long way with parents and anyone you're trying to negotiate with.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
hmmmm... "Reasoning With My Parent on Thier Level"...?

I gotta tell you, this is not a concept I ever had as a teen, and thankfully it never crossed my teens minds till after they where out of the house, or if they did, they whern't very good at it!:p

arotester

5 Year Member
i just bought them home without telling my parents ,and when they saw the torts they just couldn't say no.But don't try this at your home :)

Minority1

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
How did you convince them to buy you all of the Pet's listed in your signature? I am a parent and I would say if you show responsibility in taking care of your other Pet's needs, do well in school and keep your room clean that will be a great starting point. Good luck :)

I agree all those pets, your parents are spoiling you as it is.

Nothing says responsibility like earning the money to buy one yourself. Discuss with your parents and show them you're serious by presenting that option. Nothing feels better than earning something with your own efforts.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Well, are you going to be paying for the tortoise and all of its supplies? If you are, you may have a chance, but if you aren't then don't get your hopes up. Maybe you can help out around the house more (without being asked), and bring it up after consistently putting more effort into helping out. Or good grades....same thing. Besides that, wait for a bday or Christmas.

EKLC

5 Year Member
To be honest, I wouldn't want a tortoise if I was living under someone else's roof. There are so many highly intrusive things that you need to do as a tortoise owner, like sticking a 7 foot tortoise table in a room somewhere, or tearing up the lawn to plant weeds and building a big pen there. And if you don't have an income, how are you going to run out and get new bulbs, or get a thermostat, infrared thermometer, ceramic heat emitter, new substrate, greens and fruits for the week, etc. ? Plus, I wouldn't have been able to care for my tortoise in undergrad, since no dorms allow pets. So really, tortoise ownership as a kid/teen would require your parents to want a tortoise as well. I know this isn't really answering your question, but if there is some other way to get tortoises in your life (like volunteering at a local zoo/museum/etc) it would be much more convenient, and save you the stress of wanting to best care for your tortoise, while the world seems to be against you.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
Ok I'm 12 and it took me about six months of begging my mom and dad and doing over an hour of research a day before they finally said yes. Taking care of a tortoise is easy. taking care of a tortoise RIGHT is a whole 'nother thing entirely. caring for a tortoise inside is much harder than caring for one outside. Where do you live, how much space do you have in your back yard ? I'm lucky because I'm home schooled so I have a lot of time for torts, but you sound like you are very buisy. Let me just warn you, caring for a tortoise right, is like trying to grow a cactus in the north pole. you probably could if you heated it and gave it light and watered it and gave it space to grow and fertilized it just to see it sit there and not die. Also tortoises don't do much, they eat, they poop, they sleep, they get sick if your temps are to cold, they get sick if the humidity is wrong, they get sick if they don't have enough room to wander, they get sick if.... your mom and dad are probably going to read this and say "no way" to tortoises, but if care for a tortoise RIGHT, they are the sweetest, cutest, little (or not so little) things you will ever lay eyes on!

Welcome to the tortoise forum! :D Oh, you should check out this link here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-22635.html

I'm not trying to discourage you, but taking care of a tortoise is a lot harder than you probably think.

leash_wish

5 Year Member
[/quote]
I think it is better to wait. Then when you are out on your own and settled, there will be no compromise. You can get whatever animal you like. At least until you get married.
[/quote]

You have no idea how hard this made me laugh because it's so true. When I introduced Waffles to my husband I said "this is Waffles, he lives here now".

www.aliciawishart.com

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I live under the same roof as my parents as still youngish as well. The key thing here is being able to finance it yourself. Remember light changes, substrate, enclosure upgrades e.t.c all cost a lot-plus any problems humidty may cause to the walls and flooring. Also, your parents may want a bit of money for the cost of running the lights.

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
Like Laura said, their reasons might be good. Do they perhaps think you have too many pets?

A tortoise is a really big responsibility, much more than something like a pet rat or hamster merely because of their longevity.

What would your plans be when you move away to college in regards to your tortoise? Personally, I wanted one at your age but I waited until I was done with most of my schooling to ensure that I would have a stable home for my little Ellington.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
CourtneyG if you get a new animal someone has to go??? how can you do that? I would be so sad to send one of my critters away!! and how do you choose???

Parents are a funny breed of people....we tend to know what's right and what's wrong and keep very little detail about why it's right or wrong from our kids...I like the volunteering Idea it would give you some practice at caring for torts and then when you have your own place (or maybe with more experience your parents will say yes?) then you will know that whatever lucky tort you get will have experienced care! Good luck to you can't wait to see how this plays out.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Eloise said:
CourtneyG if you get a new animal someone has to go??? how can you do that? I would be so sad to send one of my critters away!! and how do you choose???

Parents are a funny breed of people....we tend to know what's right and what's wrong and keep very little detail about why it's right or wrong from our kids...I like the volunteering Idea it would give you some practice at caring for torts and then when you have your own place (or maybe with more experience your parents will say yes?) then you will know that whatever lucky tort you get will have experienced care! Good luck to you can't wait to see how this plays out.

I guess I should have mentioned I breed Leo's, so I trade them into our local pet store for food or other such things for my pets that I do keep. I have permanent babies that I will never give up for the world. Also it prevents me from spending more money than what I have to take care of my pets. I currently have fish: 1 African upside down catfish, 1 puffer fish, 6 glass catfish, and 1 beta. I have 3 permanent Leo's and no babies , but my female is gravid. And 2 pancake tortoises. And a new tarantula to replace the one that died a few months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.