How to combine Rubbermaid tubs?

Eduardo Hernandez

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, California
Hello,

I wanted to know how I could combine 2-3 different Rubbermaid tubs for my Russian tortoise? Would just cutting a hole with a knife and putting them together work, or would a ramp between them work better? What could I use/do to create this ramp? I've tried looking it up but can't find much information on how to combine them. Any information helps.

Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I did mine with holes in each that matched up. Then because the lip of the totes don't let them fit tight together, I made a tunnel to fit within the holes and go between the totes.

Eduardo Hernandez

I did mine with holes in each that matched up. Then because the lip of the totes don't let them fit tight together, I made a tunnel to fit within the holes and go between the totes.

If I may ask, what did you use for the tunnel? I doubt cardboard would work haha, and I'm having trouble thinking of something that could bend to the hole's shape while still being resistant to moisture.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I used a plastic cup that I cut the end out of. Mine was for a hatchling leopard. But PVC pipe will work, there is even some kind of black plastic stuff that would work and I think is bendable. You could make something out of wood that would be larger the the holes. Heck, even cardboard will work if you do something to protect it, like cover it in plastic or spray a sealant on it. This is when you have to get creative. I just looked around my house to find something that would fit.

Eduardo Hernandez

I used a plastic cup that I cut the end out of. Mine was for a hatchling leopard. But PVC pipe will work, there is even some kind of black plastic stuff that would work and I think is bendable. You could make something out of wood that would be larger the the holes. Heck, even cardboard will work if you do something to protect it, like cover it in plastic or spray a sealant on it. This is when you have to get creative. I just looked around my house to find something that would fit.

Alright, I'll just have to wait till I make the holes to see what fits! Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Alright, I'll just have to wait till I make the holes to see what fits! Thanks!

Buy a small length of PVC pipe and use that as the template for your hole. Just make sure the PVC you buy is big enough for the tortoise to walk through.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I would think you'd need a square pipe. Like a large drainage tube.
A round sectional PVC pipe would not allow anything tortoise shaped to pass through without difficulty. Unless it was partially filled with something to provide a flat botton. A curved bottom would have the shell dragging on the sides and the tortoises legs dangling.
Maybe a third container to attach the two. A shoebox shaped tunnel?