how tame ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDDTMama

5 Year Member
pineapple said:
That is awesome. What type of tortoise do you have?

alita said:
amazing! yeah what kind of tortoise?
And SDDTmama, that is so cool that he climbs into your hand, I am jealous too heheh

Carol S said:
The most personable seem to be the Deserts as they seem to really enjoy interaction with me and are very curious. If I am doing some gardening in their enclosure they have to come over to see what I am doing and crawl all over me. They remind me of little toddlers.

Owen is a 3 or 4 month old Mojave (California) desert tortoise. I have had him since he was a hatchling. He is *very* curious, and he loves his daily "walks" out in our backyard. Getting out of his tortoise table to explore the world around him seems to be his biggest motivation to climb onto my palm. (Although I'm sure the hibiscus flowers I offer as rewards once he's done so don't hurt, either . . .) :D

alita

5 Year Member
Carol S said:
I have Russian tortoises and Desert tortoises. My youngest Russian that I have had since a hatching is very tame and will come when I call him. He likes me to rub his neck and head. Most of my adult Russians are pretty tame and will come over when they see that I have food or they hear me calling when its time for them to eat.

The most personable seem to be the Deserts as they seem to really enjoy interaction with me and are very curious. If I am doing some gardening in their enclosure they have to come over to see what I am doing and crawl all over me. They remind me of little toddlers. My Desert torts are 5 years old.

Each tortoise I have seems to have their own personality. They are each so special in their own way. :)

That's too cute, you are right some of them are like toddlers, and all of them are special

ALDABRAMAN said:
alita said:
to what extent can tortoises be tame. // So, do you have anything to share? are your tortoises tame?

23wa5ba.jpg

tzlg2.jpg

Oh man, my heart just stopped!! Beautiful!!!!!!!!! They let you caress they heads!That's pure trust. They seem so happy. And that's the ideal set up. I wish I could have one ! Who know maybe one day.... ( i might hit the jackpot lol )
Thank you so much for sharing

alita said:
Carol S said:
I have Russian tortoises and Desert tortoises. My youngest Russian that I have had since a hatching is very tame and will come when I call him. He likes me to rub his neck and head. Most of my adult Russians are pretty tame and will come over when they see that I have food or they hear me calling when its time for them to eat.

The most personable seem to be the Deserts as they seem to really enjoy interaction with me and are very curious. If I am doing some gardening in their enclosure they have to come over to see what I am doing and crawl all over me. They remind me of little toddlers. My Desert torts are 5 years old.

Each tortoise I have seems to have their own personality. They are each so special in their own way. :)

That's too cute, you are right some of them are like toddlers, and all of them are special

ALDABRAMAN said:
alita said:
to what extent can tortoises be tame. // So, do you have anything to share? are your tortoises tame?

23wa5ba.jpg

tzlg2.jpg

Oh man, my heart just stopped!! Beautiful!!!!!!!!! They let you caress they heads!That's pure trust. They seem so happy. And that's the ideal set up. I wish I could have one ! Who know maybe one day.... ( i might hit the jackpot lol )
Thank you so much for sharing

how long do aldabras take to grow up to full adult size? I'm in love. :)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
That is an awesome shot, Greg.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I think my leopard's too young to really be tame. But I'm paranoid about handling it too much right now. I don't want to add any stress, especially during the cooler winter months. I'll probably handle it more after a year old.

It is curious though. I put a big repti ramp water bowl in there this morning and it kept circling around it trying to figure out what it was.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ALDABRAMAN said:
alita said:

23wa5ba.jpg

tzlg2.jpg

Great picture, I have noticed you havent been as active forum. We enjoy your pictures and info

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
My kiddos are pretty tame too. They hang around feet when they are first placed outside then come back around my feet when they want to go back inside. My bigger one lets me rub his head when he is soaking :)

Status
Not open for further replies.