How can I tame my sulcata babies ?

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Hello dear tortoise friends,

I need your help and your experience in relation to tame my sulcata babies.
They are 4 months old, and I own them 2 months. They live in their enclosure in my living room, and I like it to observe them and take care of them.
But when I put my hand near to them, they hide at once in their shell or try to walk away.
I often hold my fingers to them ( to their heads ) so they can smell it. But they are very shy.
I know I have a lot of time, and they have a lot of time too to learn that I`m not a predator. But my questions is: How do you tame your sulcatas ? Are there any tricks ?
I am looking forward to your reply.

Best regards
Sabine

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoises aren't social creatures. They don't particularly like other tortoises let alone humans. You are big and scary.

Your tortoises will get used to you over time. They will start coming you for food as well, but don't expect anything to happen quickly.

Even after 46 years our Greek still pulls his head in if I put my hand out. He's more likely to try to mate with my shoes than run away these days though. :D

Just move slowly and handle your torts gently and remember that they're happiest with 4 feet on the ground. Tortoises don't really do cuddles :)

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
They're babies and scare quit easily. With my interactions with babies is that they all have instincts to fear everything and everyone. I say when they get a bit older,a few years they they'll be out of their shells in no time! For suggestions try hand feeding, or make a food schedule so they learn when it's food time and you're the one who brings the FOOD!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some of them are more fearful than others, but most babies are as you describe. Hand feeding can some times make them see you in a more positive light.

Most of them get more bold and less fearful around 3-4 years old even if you do nothing at all.

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
They're babies and scare quit easily. With my interactions with babies is that they all have instincts to fear everything and everyone. I say when they get a bit older,a few years they they'll be out of their shells in no time! For suggestions try hand feeding, or make a food schedule so they learn when it's food time and you're the one who brings the FOOD!

I have a five month old Hermanni baby who is absolutely fearless. She actively approaches you when you get near her enclosure, and not even the most sudden movements make her retreat into her shell. Just further proof that they really are all different!

Bee62

Germany
@ all

Thank you for your answers.
Yes, you are right, time is probably the best teacher for the little ones that they do not have to be afraid of me. They will get all the time that they need. And sometimes handfeeding :)
Maybe I'll write a thread in a couple of years that my turtles are too cuddly for me:D

Best regards
Sabine

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Keep doing whatever you are doing so they get used to you. Approach them from the front so they can see you, never from behind. As Tom said, when they get older they get more brave. Charlie doesn't come out much during the winter and then when he comes out in the Spring, he is a little shy again until he remembers me.

Connie L

Glendale, Arizona
It does take time. For the first several weeks Crush would spin around and head for his burrow when he saw me. He slowly stopped doing that. A few weeks ago I decided to plant an aloe in his area. I was sitting on the ground with a little hand spade digging a hole. He saw me and stretched his neck way out and came walking right straight to me. Stood there at the edge of the hole looking down into it. For a moment I thought he was going to climb down in the hole. Then he turned around and walked over and started climbing over my feet. Now I can go out and walk up to his area and he continues whatever he is doing. I can tell he definitely relates to me as the food giver. Always comes to where ever I am quickly to check.

Bee62

Germany
[QUOTEOnce you become the "God of Food" they will follow you to the ends of the earth ! :D][/QUOTE]

I will do my very best ( to become the "God of Food"...:)

Quote Connie L
It does take time. For the first several weeks Crush would spin around and head for his burrow when he saw me. He slowly stopped doing that. A few weeks ago I decided to plant an aloe in his area. I was sitting on the ground with a little hand spade digging a hole. He saw me and stretched his neck way out and came walking right straight to me. Stood there at the edge of the hole looking down into it. For a moment I thought he was going to climb down in the hole. Then he turned around and walked over and started climbing over my feet. Now I can go out and walk up to his area and he continues whatever he is doing. I can tell he definitely relates to me as the food giver. Always comes to where ever I am quickly to check.

What a nice proof of confidence that he crawled over your foot !

Quote Big Charlie
Keep doing whatever you are doing so they get used to you. Approach them from the front so they can see you, never from behind. As Tom said, when they get older they get more brave. Charlie doesn't come out much during the winter and then when he comes out in the Spring, he is a little shy again until he remembers me.

Nice to know that our tortoises can remember us.

best regards:tort:
Sabine