How old is your tortoise?

Roshi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Evora,Portugal
Moderator note:

This question was just asked today, so I looked up a couple of old threads asking the same question, and merged them all together.

does the life span differ from captivity to the wild and why? overfeeding?

so...

How old is your tortoise? how old is your oldest tortoise?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

stells

Mine range from 2 months... up to between 60-70 years old...

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
My oldest (and only :p) tortoise is 8 months old :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have an old, wild-caught desert tortoise. Impossible to actually "know" for sure, but I'm guessing she's my oldest tortoise. She came to my family about 40 years ago and she was full grown at that time. Probably up in the 60's or 70's.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think awhile back torts in captivity were not cared for ideally and may have perished early (although the death rate is higher in the wild), but I'd think now with better care at least from owners like us our torts may live to be older. My little guy celebrated his first birthday in August so he's almost 1.5 now.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
So cool for those of you that have "mature" tortoises. ;)

Taco is about 4 or 5.

Kelly and Yvonne, do tortoises "slow down" as they age, like people do, or do they stay vigorous and hale into old age? Any other health issues for tortoises after their first few decades? :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They don't seem to age like humans do. My old desert tortoise is as spry and active as the young ones.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Since I got my oldest from a pretty sketchy place (that was keeping her in the worst of conditions) I never actually got around to asking how old she is (too busy paying way to much to get her out of there), but from her size I'd guess around 8 or 9 years.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I've got an 11yr old, and at the present, a 16 month old, and a 6 month old. I know the exact hatchdates of my CB girls, but Nigel was WC. 11 yrs is best estimate. I expect them all to live long happy lives, and I am doing my best to ensure that.

S

stells

My old boys are extremely active and haven't had any health problems since i have had them... they really are a pleasure to own...

Stephanie Logan said:
So cool for those of you that have "mature" tortoises. ;)

Taco is about 4 or 5.

Kelly and Yvonne, do tortoises "slow down" as they age, like people do, or do they stay vigorous and hale into old age? Any other health issues for tortoises after their first few decades? :p

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Alfie is two in May. She is still small, but is almost at 94mm and 150g now so has pretty much doubbled since i got her! I'm looking forward to spring so that i can get her outside in the sun a bit more!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Roshi said:
does the life span differ from captivity to the wild and why? overfeeding?

so...

How old is your tortoise? how old is your oldest tortoise?

No one will be able to definitively answer these questions for several hundred years. We know that at least some species can live well over 100 years and probably much longer. It is very hard to document and verify something that existed before the camera and computer were invented. You basically have to go on someone's word. Now that we have DNA testing and digital cameras coupled with computers to store the hatch dates and such, we will have our verifiable answer when our current captive bred and raised hatchlings start to die of old age. Long after we are all dead and gone. IF, they actually do die of old age......

My oldest two currents torts were just a couple of weeks old when I got them in June of 1998.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Mine range from 1 year to 60 years old, hes just as active as the others if not more.:D

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
My bad if this questions been done before.

I would really like to know what age is your oldest tort? Or if they are no longer with us what age was your oldest ever tort.

:)

1 Eastern Hermanns Tortoise 2.5yo

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
I have a desert tortoise that the vet has estimated to be near 75 years old. My husband found him when he was a kid and he is 42 now. Love him!