How Old Do Box Turtles Need To Be Too Mate?

C.H.D Reptiles

I want to get some baby boxies and I have a question since you cant find anything on the internet, I've never kept baby box turtles before and how many years until they can reproduce? (or at least sex) from what I've heard its 5 years but is that true?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Per a book written by Tess Cook, it says it takes 8-12 years for a turtle to reach breeding age.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I want to get some baby boxies and I have a question since you cant find anything on the internet, I've never kept baby box turtles before and how many years until they can reproduce? (or at least sex) from what I've heard its 5 years but is that true?

Yes, you should be able to sex them around that age, however to reach sexual maturity falls in line with what cmac3 stated. Tess Cook's Box Turtles book is a fantastic guide, highly approve. Baby box turtles are a true joy, but they can be very demanding and temperamental.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Those ages are more for wild boxies. Captive box turtles grow quicker and reach maturity quicker. I know someone who has a 6 year old and this is her 2nd year giving him eggs.

So yes, usually by age 5 you can.

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
Those ages are more for wild boxies. Captive box turtles grow quicker and reach maturity quicker. I know someone who has a 6 year old and this is her 2nd year giving him eggs.

So yes, usually by age 5 you can.
really? the turtle may lay eggs starting as early as 4 years old but i have NEVER EVER heard of those eggs being fertile or turn into babies at that age, can you put me in touch with that person, i would like to verify that, sorry if i do not take your word for a fact, because a 4 year old turtle is not even fully grown, it is nearly half the size of an adult, I have one, she is not even gone into heat yet:) please let me know if you can put me in touch with that magic person you know, I wouldl love to chat with him/her about egg laying:) please and thank you :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
really? the turtle may lay eggs starting as early as 4 years old but i have NEVER EVER heard of those eggs being fertile or turn into babies at that age, can you put me in touch with that person, i would like to verify that, sorry if i do not take your word for a fact, because a 4 year old turtle is not even fully grown, it is nearly half the size of an adult, I have one, she is not even gone into heat yet:) please let me know if you can put me in touch with that magic person you know, I wouldl love to chat with him/her about egg laying:) please and thank you :)
6 years old, not 4. Last year, at age 5, one egg she laid was fertile and hatched. She's laying right now. We shall see what happens. I also don't know why you assumed they were fertile based on my post. I simply said she laid eggs.

My box turtle was pretty much fully grown at age 4, btw. As was this turtle. Yours may not be. Every turtle is different.

Last edited:

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
6 years old, not 4. Last year, at age 5, one egg she laid was fertile and hatched. She's laying right now. We shall see what happens. I also don't know why you assumed thru were fertile based on my post. I simply said she laid eggs.

My box turtle was pretty much fully grown at age 4, btw. As was this turtle. Yours may not ne. Every turtle is different.
I am all astonishment... do tell more :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
As for your request, you may look up John K. Cardinal on FB if you're interested.