HOW TO RAISE BABY BOX TURTLES

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
“Episode 15: How to Raise Baby Box Turtles” is now up on our YouTube channel.

This full length episode goes into detail about a method that actually produces excellent results. Box turtles have been notoriously difficult to raise throughout the history of herpetoculture and one reason for this is that so many keepers forget the relationship that they have with water.

I hope this helps and offers one more option for box turtle enthusiasts to consider.

jsheffield

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
My not-so-secret fantasy is to work with the New Hampshire Department of Natural and Cultural Resources to re-establish Eastern Box Turtles to NH.

I live in one of the few townships in NH where they've been seen in the last decade, and we're situated on a 10-acre parcel of mixed forest, wetlands, and a river.

I'd love to build a big outside enclosure for a group of 10-15 EBTs, raise them there for 5-10 years, collect and incubate eggs, and begin a controlled release over time.

#dreams

Jamie

Loren123456765

maryland
Thanks for this awesome video! My mother brought me a baby eastern box turtle she found in her driveway today... In December. I figure something must have dug him up. But it was getting dark and he was just in the middle of the driveway. The plan is to keep him inside until spring when he can be released. He is about the size of a half dollar coin.

Couple Quick questions:

How long do I keep the water in the bottom of his container? At what age/size do I provide him some dry space?

And from what I understand from the video I should just be feeding insects at his current size? Are Meal worms okay as part of his diet?

Thanks!

maggie3fan

Crazy Train
Thanks for this awesome video! My mother brought me a baby eastern box turtle she found in her driveway today... In December. I figure something must have dug him up. But it was getting dark and he was just in the middle of the driveway. The plan is to keep him inside until spring when he can be released. He is about the size of a half dollar coin.

Couple Quick questions:

How long do I keep the water in the bottom of his container? At what age/size do I provide him some dry space?

And from what I understand from the video I should just be feeding insects at his current size? Are Meal worms okay as part of his diet?

Thanks!
I see nobody answered you...no you can't release him after you've been feeding him and keeping him warm, and a myriad other other reasons.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
@HermanniChris - the only time I hate living in NJ: when I see your babies!

I love how your nursery boxes are both practical and easy to cope with.

TortoiseSupply.com