HOW TO RAISE BABY BOX TURTLES

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
“Episode 15: How to Raise Baby Box Turtles” is now up on our YouTube channel.

This full length episode goes into detail about a method that actually produces excellent results. Box turtles have been notoriously difficult to raise throughout the history of herpetoculture and one reason for this is that so many keepers forget the relationship that they have with water.

I hope this helps and offers one more option for box turtle enthusiasts to consider.

Loren123456765

Location (City and/or State)
maryland
Thanks for this awesome video! My mother brought me a baby eastern box turtle she found in her driveway today... In December. I figure something must have dug him up. But it was getting dark and he was just in the middle of the driveway. The plan is to keep him inside until spring when he can be released. He is about the size of a half dollar coin.

Couple Quick questions:

How long do I keep the water in the bottom of his container? At what age/size do I provide him some dry space?

And from what I understand from the video I should just be feeding insects at his current size? Are Meal worms okay as part of his diet?

Thanks!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thanks for this awesome video! My mother brought me a baby eastern box turtle she found in her driveway today... In December. I figure something must have dug him up. But it was getting dark and he was just in the middle of the driveway. The plan is to keep him inside until spring when he can be released. He is about the size of a half dollar coin.

Couple Quick questions:

How long do I keep the water in the bottom of his container? At what age/size do I provide him some dry space?

And from what I understand from the video I should just be feeding insects at his current size? Are Meal worms okay as part of his diet?

Thanks!
I see nobody answered you...no you can't release him after you've been feeding him and keeping him warm, and a myriad other other reasons.

Ch_inverts

Warrenton
After watching this video I decided to replicate the method myself this year and see how my babies do. The only questions I have that either I missed or were not mentioned is how often you are changing the water, I've been doing it once a day. And how long you keep them set up like this, as in when do they move onto substrate?

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
“Episode 15: How to Raise Baby Box Turtles” is now up on our YouTube channel.

This full length episode goes into detail about a method that actually produces excellent results. Box turtles have been notoriously difficult to raise throughout the history of herpetoculture and one reason for this is that so many keepers forget the relationship that they have with water.

I hope this helps and offers one more option for box turtle enthusiasts to consider.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
I make sure my EBT is hydrated. Her favorite food is egg and fruit (keep the shell on the egg and just mash it down). She is going in her pond now on her own.

I still use a UVB light and I noticed her shell darkens quicker.

I still don't trust getting everything from diet.

She loves hiding and even clings to her cave wall.

augie1975

ontario
Fantastic video. he is humble enough to say that his way is not the only way . But I say that it sure is the best way to raise young box turtle babies. I raised 5 boxies using this method. Thanks Chris !

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
What temperature should the water be kept at if I check it with a temp gun?