How often should he go

kittie

I am new to Russian Tortoises and I can't remember from the box turtles we had as kids but how often should they poop? I just got it yesterday and he has pooped 4 times and it it quite hard and looks like a large pellet. Is this normal?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
no 4X is a lot in one day. Plus it should look like a cigar roll

kittie

Thank you. Cigar roll is a good description so that part seems good but it does deficate more often than it should then. It's gone again since I posted that question and I gave it a good 15 minute soak.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I'm sort of unsure as to what would cause frequent defecation. If it was diarrhea I could say parasites or diet.

kittie

At the pet store where it had been for a month or so they were feedin it kale, spring mix, carrots and a pelleted food crushed and sprinkled over the top. What I saw in the cage was just that but wilted and dry. I have it on a good fresh leafy dandelion, kale and baby lettuce mix from the organic place down the road and a small bit of chopped Timothy hay from my barn

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If poop is a bit hard then more hydration is needed. Maybe cut back on the timothy hay a little?

As for volume, it always seems disproportionately large for the size of the tort.

Grasses are hard to digest - they provide fiber - that's why cows and sheep chew cud to give grasses a second go and rabbits eat their droppings for the same reason.

kittie

Thank you. I will cease the Timothy for a few days to see if that helps it as that is new to what they told me he was eating. I don't believe this tortoise had been receiving regular soaks either. Just since his soak yesterday he seems to be feeling much better