How much???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnewton

5 Year Member
Ok I have a red eared slider and african sideneck in a 55 gallon tank filled about 3/4ths full. I have a turtle dock for them to bask on and nothing else in the tank as they like to spend most of their time floating around. So im just curious what other turtle keepers put in their tanks, also how much water at most?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hi...I have two female red ear sliders ....I only have their dock in the tank....

I used to have all the cool river rocks/boulders/plants etc...and realized that all that stuff really cut down on their swim flow...so only the dock is what is left and they have the rest of the tank...

55 gallon tank, filled to the top with the dock on the left side and above the dock I have an old guinea pig cage top removed from the bottom of the guinea pig cage...so just the enclosed top...I then took that enclosed top (which covers half of the length of the tank) and some fish tank silicone and lined the top of the tank border with the silicone and then pressed the enclosure top over the tank top which encloses their dock basking area so that they can both stretch out and lift their head and feet way high up like they like doing.....and on the other side of the top of the tank I have a wire top that lays over the top so that no one escapes... :D:D:D:D:D

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I use rocks from wastelands, disinfected, also aquirium stones, aquarium decorations, we also put a air compressor in with a colored light to give a relaxing sound and colour.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
They are good swimmers they need a lot of water. Next it's time to upgrade because they get big I suggest 125gallon. Also you don't need to go fancy I have in my tank a heater, dock, UVB lamp, heat lamp, a filter. And my opinion is that they will live a long life without that stuff also, but you know it looks nice for that simple fact. Well I hope I was help good luck:D

Thank the LORD for Everything:D

Tnewton

5 Year Member
Cool, sounds like im on the same page as everyone. Yeah I know they get big, but their definitly not ready for a 125 at the momemt.

Turtle Guru said:
They are good swimmers they need a lot of water. Next it's time to upgrade because they get big I suggest 125gallon. Also you don't need to go fancy I have in my tank a heater, dock, UVB lamp, heat lamp, a filter. And my opinion is that they will live a long life without that stuff also, but you know it looks nice for that simple fact. Well I hope I was help good luck:D

Thank the LORD for Everything:D

LindaF

5 Year Member
Can you show us a picture?

ascott said:
Hi...I have two female red ear sliders ....I only have their dock in the tank....

I used to have all the cool river rocks/boulders/plants etc...and realized that all that stuff really cut down on their swim flow...so only the dock is what is left and they have the rest of the tank...

55 gallon tank, filled to the top with the dock on the left side and above the dock I have an old guinea pig cage top removed from the bottom of the guinea pig cage...so just the enclosed top...I then took that enclosed top (which covers half of the length of the tank) and some fish tank silicone and lined the top of the tank border with the silicone and then pressed the enclosure top over the tank top which encloses their dock basking area so that they can both stretch out and lift their head and feet way high up like they like doing.....and on the other side of the top of the tank I have a wire top that lays over the top so that no one escapes... :D:D:D:D:D

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
I have my 2 Western Painted and 1 Yellow Belly slider, all adults, outside from about May to October. They have the run of my yard but spend the majority of time in or around their small kidney shaped pond, probably about 50 gal. From October to May, they stay in an under-bed storage unit w/ ramp to an enclosed half lid for basking, probably 15-20 gal. of water, unheated, unfiltered, changed at least weekly, a ramp to "escape" their confines and roam their room if they desire.

This setup has worked for us for years now.

55 gal should suffice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.