How much to feed a day?

paytonandjay

I gave mine half of a baby carrot and kale. He loved it. So I started every morning before school and he always ate it. So I thought he may still be hungry and he was. I want to know exact amount so I can know I'm doing it right. His favorites are kale and carrots. Will someone please tell me how many times a day and how much?? Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Kale is okay once in a while. Carrots are okay even more infrequently. If your tortoise is eating the right diet (yours isn't) you can feed them as much as they want everyday. Best case scenario is to put them outside in a well planted enclosure and let them free graze all day on their own.

Here are some feeding suggestions:

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

If you must use grocery store foods, favor endive and escarole, but use lots of variety. You can also add some of these to improve the quality of store bought stuff:
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/salad-style-food-topper/

paytonandjay

Well that's what pet smart said.... So until I hear someone at the pet store say no then I'm going to keep doing it. Thanks for not answering my question

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
To answer you question, once s day equal to the size of his shell. And Tom is correct in his suggestion. You are seriously questioning the credibility of a person who has owned tortoise longer than you have, and has given this same advice to hundreds of others, with excellent results, and trusting a random pet store employee who has probably never kept a tortoise, or been properly educated on tortoises?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Ya, Tom. The pet store said so! :rolleyes:

Peytonandjay, you keep coming to us with questions but you don't like our answers. If you will only listen to the pet store, then why aren't you going to them with your questions?

Other readers, the above list is a great reference for what to include in your tortoise's diet. Variety is key :) and natural grazing is best!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't find an introduction thread for you. Can you tell us a bit about yourself? Like your age maybe? And your experience level with animals and tortoises.

I want to give an appropriate answer based on who I am speaking to.

Maverick

5 Year Member
Re: RE: How much to feed a day?

paytonandjay said:
Well that's what pet smart said.... So until I hear someone at the pet store say no then I'm going to keep doing it. Thanks for not answering my question

So I called Petsmart because I was possibly interested in getting a Uromastyx, and wanted to find out what species they had. The first person kept saying Uro-what? So I got the manager of the phone. Finally after spelling out Uromastyx and saying "the little spiney tail lizard at the end of your aisle" she said"oh! I don't know". The lesson here is don't trust people who don't even know what they have to give out care instructions.

matt9626

Pet stores aren't always right. The store I got my tortoise from had a so called 'expert' and she's completely wrong. You'd be much better taking advice from these guys and not some guy who has a part time job at your local pet store.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

paytonandjay

Thanks people. I guess your right. I'll look into your answers more! I read carrots are there favorite but I'm not supposed to give it to them? Or no kale. Confusing

By the way my name isn't spelled Peyton. Also usual where you buy your pet from they know what to do. But I guess people on a website are more trustworthy....

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Carrots usually are a favorite and I bet they taste really good to them, too ;) Since they aren't very good for them, just limit it to say, 1 chunk of carrot a month. It can be a special treat :)

Kale is good for them. But not only kale. Give some kale one day, collards the next day, spring mix the next..etc. Rotate through lots of different foods but kale can absolutely be part of that rotation :)

Have you considered buying the testudo broadleaf weed mix of seeds? Tyler at tortoisesupply.com sells a mix of weeds designed just for your guy. If you get a planter set up and grow this stuff yourself, then you can cut clippings to feed him and you'll be 100% positive that you are feeding a good, varied diet :D
Take a look here to see the seed mix I'm referring to
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-47628.html

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Look! You can ask people here and they will let you know the right ways . But you can read all the old outdated information out of books at the library and go about it all wrong . The people on this forum know their stuff like it or not .

Here is a picture of an older tortoise kept wrong no humidity as a baby . Then look at this baby that is kept and feed like Tom has informed new keepers of . The older one is pyramided and the baby is smooth . Eats grasses and weeds , kept at high humidity . Now go ask your pet shop how to make a tortoise grow smoothly . Then ask for pictures . We can say whatever but pictures dont lie!

Attachments

• 1395097339654.jpg
    1395097339654.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 1395097356578.jpg
    1395097356578.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 33

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
paytonandjay said:
Thanks people. I guess your right. I'll look into your answers more! I read carrots are there favorite but I'm not supposed to give it to them? Or no kale. Confusing

By the way my name isn't spelled Peyton. Also usual where you buy your pet from they know what to do. But I guess people on a website are more trustworthy....

Snickers are a favorite of mine. Ice cream too. With lots of chocolate syrup and caramel. Doesn't mean I should eat either of those as a full meal on a regular basis. I like bacon jalapeño cheeseburgers too. Its okay for me to eat those once in a while, but probably not the best thing to eat three times a day everyday. Are you starting to get it? Kale is an okay PART of the diet. Its not okay as the only thing it eats every day. Carrots are high in sugar and they are orange, so of course most tortoises love them, but that doesn't make it good for them. A little carrot once in a while won't kill them, but it can be bad if its too much too often.

And no, the people working at most pet stores, where some people buy their pets from, do NOT usually no what to do. With time and experience you will learn this.

It is not a question of trustworthiness. It is a question of first hand personal experience with raising a given species at all life stages for many years and repeating it many times. As with any endeavor, people learn things along the way. We are trying to be very nice and patient with you, and give you and your tortoise the benefit of what we have learned over many years, but your snide remarks and your refusal to accept what you are being told is going to make it so no one will want to help you.

Please, for the sake of your tortoise, just tone it down a bit, and try to be a little nicer and show some appreciation for the help you are being given. If you reply to this with another snotty insulting remark, that will be my cue to begin ignoring any of your future questions.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: How much to feed a day?

paytonandjay said:

"Would you rather take information from people with a will to share experiences, OR people (usually young kids) looking to make a few bucks at a chain store?"

Hmmm...lets see... yeap. The answer is still obvious.

I REALLY think Tom's analogy should put things in perspective.

Also, I think it was rather rude of you to point out the name spelling error. Most of us here use smart phones, equipt with spellcheck. Names that are unfamiliar change. I know I that almost never check for spelling errors in my posts, and don't mind if others dont.
However, I respect your wishes, and cannot fight against your beliefs. What I can urge is that you do not point out meer mistakes of people trying to help you.
Got it PAyton? :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well thank you . So all is forgotten . Lets start over . Welcome to TFO!

Dorrie Siu

Hi Payton, welcome to the forum.

I got mine from PetSmart and they told me certain things to use and then I found out that they were bad for her. They also told me that she was a Russian but I found out she wasn't. When I asked them certain questions, they could not answer me. They even sold me things that could kill her! I trusted them too. I don't think that they meant any harm, I think that the employees there just aren't trained. What got me here is doing more research. I found out the the information here was more helpful than what the employees were able to provide for me. Perhaps that's why you are here too?

My suggestion is to do a little bit of search on here for your topics and you will soon be reassured that the results from the tips here have been proven to be in the best interest of your new tortoise. I know it's confusing but honestly, keep reading up and you will be convinced.

To answer your question, the quantity to give should equal the size of their shell.

All that being said, I'd love to see a picture of your new baby! :)