How much time can Hermy stay alone??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello everyone

In July, I will have to go to a wedding. I will leave on thursday night or friday morning and will come back on monday morning. All the people that I trust 100% (My family) wont be able to take care of Hermy while I am away since they are comming to the wedding with me. I have 2 choices

-Feed Hermy on friday morning and leave. She wont eat on saturday and sunday (She is used to eat everyday, she is still a baby). I would buy 2 timers (one for the UVA light and one for the UVB).

-Bring her to the vet on thursday night (if I leave on friday I will leave really early and they open at 9AM) And get her back on monday morning as soon as I get back. That way she would eat everyday and someone would keep an eye on her while I am away. BUT she is very stressed out when she goes there + she wont have a hide in her vivarium :( (they will put her in a vivarium) but I know a tecnician that works there and she is really nice with Hermy.

I really dont know what would be the best for Hermy. I dont know how she would react without food for 2 - 3 days.

Does anyone have an advice on what should I do?

Thanks

Isa

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Isa,
I haven't been gone for more than a day where someone wasn't available to feed my DTs but you could probably leave a bunch of food in the enclosure while you're gone and Hermy will be able to munch on what he likes. Remember to also leave a decent amount of water for Hermy. Occasionally i leave extra food in my enclosure and it dries up but my DTs still eat it. Plus, I figure some dry leaves make it more like nature.
Your other option would be to take a small hide for Hermy if you leave him at the vet. It can be stressful for torts to be in a new enclosure but as long as his temps are up and he has a place to hide, I'm sure he'll make it through the weekend.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks Josh

Good idea! I will call the vet to see if I can bring her hide there.

Isa

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa, the tecnician you know that works there and is really nice with Hermy have you talked with her and asked if she would be willing to go to your home and check on Hermy, that is if you trust her in your home.

old4x4

10 Year Member!
I've gone away for 2 different weekends and left Sherman (7 mo old) alone. Lots of food (leafy stuff-it won't go bad) and LOTS of water. She'll be fine. No need to stress her out unnecessarily. Just make sure she can't flip herself over anywhere. I stressed out over the first weekend, but he was fine.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Robyn

Thanks for the idea but unfortunatly, I only spoke to her a couple of times. I dont know her enough to give her the key of my house.

I called the vet and they told me I could bring Hermy's hide if i want to but still I am not sure if I should bring her there for 4 nights.

Thanks for the advice old4X4

Isa

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
How about asking the vet tech if she could take her home with her? I am sure she could use a little extra cash.
Good luck
Patsy

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Here is an Update of the situation

This morning, I called at the vet office to talk to the technician (the one who is nice with Hermy) and BAD NEW she quit her job :(. So I definitly dont want to bring Hermy there. My sister has a friend that we completely trust, my sister asked her if she could come on saturday morning and sunday morning and she said that if her husband does not work she could take her car and come to my place both days but she will only know on the 29th and I am leaving on August 1st. So what I will do is not call at the vet to cancel the reservation ( I will wait untill My syster's friend tells me if she can come) and if her husband works, I will offer her to use my car while I am away, I dont know if she will accept but I hope so.

Usually, my parents stay at my place to take care of Hermy but they are coming to the wedding too.

I know I could leave her alone but I want to play safe, we never know :)

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
I left my greeks and leopards over a long weekend when they were babies and they're just fine. I think it should be fine for your Hermy too, as long as Hermy is healthy to begin with and you don't do that too often.

70ridgeway

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i dont think there would be a problem for a weekend away,try planting a few weeds or plants for him that way they will be fresh for him but make sure there isnt anything he can climb on and may topple over ,

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa, I am going away in mid Oct for 9 days. I am going to ask a friend to checkon them and feed and water them. If she is not comfortable with that I am thinking of hireing a House sitter. That way I can feel all my shelled ones and my 2 dogs are safe. The company is bonded. Do you perhaps have something like that around you?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Robyn

Will you ask your friend to come once a day? What is house sitter, is it that someone is going to go to your place once a day feed your animals? If it is, no we dont have that in MTL :(.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa said:
Hello Robyn

Will you ask your friend to come once a day? What is house sitter, is it that someone is going to go to your place once a day feed your animals? If it is, no we dont have that in MTL :(.

Yes Isa, I will ask my friend to come once a day or once every other day to make sure they have water and food. The dogs will be at my daughters if my friend can come.
A house sitter here is someone who literally stays at your house while you are gone. They are bonded and work for a company that does this. You can have it set up so they will stay there all day (like they live there) or you can set it up that they come for just a few hours a day. The hours they are there vary so no one knows when they will be there. That way your animal are looked after as well as your house.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks Robyn

unfortunatly, We do not have house sitter in MTL :(

I guess if my sister's friend can come only one day, I will go with that.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa, I am sure that would be fine. I know it is hard to leave Hermy for the first time but I am sure s/he will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.