Hermy is in love :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
My mom made me and Hermy a surprise :D She ordered 1lb of Mazuri from The bean farm and she did not tell us. She received it this week. Yesterday, I went at my parent's place to say hello and she gave it to me :D I was very happy because I want to give Mazuri to Hermy since a long time. I Gave 5 pieces to Hermy this morning and OMG, Hermy LOVED it. I guess I can say that Hermy found the love of his life and it is Mazuri :p. After the 5 pieces I put some greens on his plate, he looked at me and did not move. I came back in his room 5 minutes and he was still at the same place, in front of his greens and he was looking at me. He ate the 5 pieces this morning and did not touch his greens since! I was not sure about the portion, are 5 pieces too much?
If Hermy does not want to eat tomorrow morning I will powder his food with mazuri.

M

Maggie Cummings

I feed Bob about a cup moistened and placed on the greens...he eats it all. I think there could be a tendency to overfeed using Mazuri, so I feed it every other day. Hermy is a small species, isn't he? A Hermann is small? So I would feed 5 or 6 pieces moistened...with his greens every other day. Maybe 1 or 2 pieces on the off day until he gets with the flow...

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
maggie3fan said:
I feed Bob about a cup moistened and placed on the greens...he eats it all. I think there could be a tendency to overfeed using Mazuri, so I feed it every other day. Hermy is a small species, isn't he? A Hermann is small? So I would feed 5 or 6 pieces moistened...with his greens every other day. Maybe 1 or 2 pieces on the off day until he gets with the flow...

Thanks for the reply Maggie
Yes, Hermy is a Hermann and it is a small specie, he weights 313grams. next time, I will mix the mazuri with his greens.
Thanks for the advice :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Trevor can eat 1 piece with greens and he is about 65 grams. Since Hermy is about 5 times his size than that sounds like an ok portion (although Trevor eats more for his body weight due to the fact that he's a hatchling)! That's awesome of your mom. It freezes well to keep it fresh.

M

Maggie Cummings

I forgot to say I thought that was pretty nice of your Mom. Thoughtful...

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
maggie3fan said:
I forgot to say I thought that was pretty nice of your Mom. Thoughtful...

Thanks Maggie :)
I really love her :). Before I had Hermy, my parents were not going crazy over reptiles, they were even scared. But when I got Hermy, it was love at first sight, they really love him and often buy him little
surpises. Per exemple, when they came to my place for the week end 2 or 3 weeks ago to take care of Hermy while I was gone to the States, they bought him radichio haha. My mom often tells me, '' I would never have thought I would love a tortoise like that" :D

tortoisenerd said:
Trevor can eat 1 piece with greens and he is about 65 grams. Since Hermy is about 5 times his size than that sounds like an ok portion (although Trevor eats more for his body weight due to the fact that he's a hatchling)! That's awesome of your mom. It freezes well to keep it fresh.

Thanks for the info Kate :)
I was not sure if I should freeze it since I only have 1lbs. Should I keep it in the bag (the bag has a zipper) or should I put some in the freezer?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa that is great that your mom has taken to Hermy and bring him and you surprizes like the Mazuri. Glad Hermy likes it.
I agree with Maggie on the amount to feed him. Just watch his weight to make sure he doesn't gain too much too fast. :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Crazy1 said:
Isa that is great that your mom has taken to Hermy and bring him and you surprizes like the Mazuri. Glad Hermy likes it.
I agree with Maggie on the amount to feed him. Just watch his weight to make sure he doesn't gain too much too fast. :)

Thanks Robyn, I put him on his balance every sunday, so I will make sure that he does not gain more weight than usually. Usually he gains 2 to 8 grams a week.

tortoisenerd said:
I keep almost all in the freezer.

Kate, do you keep it in the freezer with the original bag, if not what kind of bag. And how much time do you wait for it to unfreeze and to feed it to Trevor?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I put it in a large Ziplok in the freezer, and use a small Ziploc to keep out a few weeks worth. It defrosts almost right away, but I'd just get it out the night before I feed it in the morning. I think mine came in a Ziploc so I just put it in the freezer straight in that bag (I bought from someone that resells it). If yours came in the factory bag with the zipper top, that would probably be fine to if it seals pretty well (see if you can hear or feel air come out when you squeeze it).

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Aw Hermy you cutie !!!!! Tallula is jealous cos her grandmother lives so far away to be able to spoil her ! :p
Lucky you Isa!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
tortoisenerd said:
I put it in a large Ziplok in the freezer, and use a small Ziploc to keep out a few weeks worth. It defrosts almost right away, but I'd just get it out the night before I feed it in the morning. I think mine came in a Ziploc so I just put it in the freezer straight in that bag (I bought from someone that resells it). If yours came in the factory bag with the zipper top, that would probably be fine to if it seals pretty well (see if you can hear or feel air come out when you squeeze it).

I will do that, thanks Kate :)

Stazz said:
Aw Hermy you cutie !!!!! Tallula is jealous cos her grandmother lives so far away to be able to spoil her ! :p
Lucky you Isa!

Thanks Stace,
Hermy only ate his greens yesterday afternoon!!! Usually he is a pork in the morning, he is always super hungry. But yesterday, he was being capricious haha, he wanted Mazuri instead of his greens. Will you bring Tallula when you are going to go in SA for a vacation?

Status
Not open for further replies.