How much food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenley

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Az
How much food should I be feeding my tort? I know they can go every few days without food but how MUCH at one time?...I can't seem to find anything on it...just the fact that they dont need to eat every day. Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They DO need to eat everyday. They might be able to survive for a month or more with no food, but that is not good for them. If you house and hydrate them correctly, as well as feed the right foods, they should be able to free feed and/or graze as much as they want all day long.

Go ahead... Ask which foods are the "right" foods. :)

Come on... Somebody else type it for me this time... :D

Jenley

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Az
Tom said:
They DO need to eat everyday. They might be able to survive for a month or more with no food, but that is not good for them. If you house and hydrate them correctly, as well as feed the right foods, they should be able to free feed and/or graze as much as they want all day long.

Go ahead... Ask which foods are the "right" foods. :)

Come on... Somebody else type it for me this time... :D

...Sorry for bothering you.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Tom didn't mean any harm, or that you may be bothering him. He's been through a situation like this many times with beginner owners, which is okay to ask! He's explained it many times. If you search diet in the forum, you'll find most of your questions in regards to a sulcata. I feed my 15 month old every day, sometimes up to three times.

What other questions do you have? The only stupid question is one not asked.

Vickie

5 Year Member
I wouldn't feel bad about bothering someone with a question like this its a good question. I mean even with dogs some can keep their bowls down all day especially some tiny dogs need it down all day or their bloods sugar can get to long. Where as some other dogs you feed them meals and a bowl down isn't a good idea.

So anyway, I wouldn't worry about such a question it honestly was a good question. As far as Tom's answer I don't think you understood it the way he answered you. He often sounds just like my hubby very direct and people sometimes gets the wrong idea. He answered because he wanted to give you some good direct answers and what was best for them despite what others might say.
Jenley said:
How much food should I be feeding my tort? I know they can go every few days without food but how MUCH at one time?...I can't seem to find anything on it...just the fact that they dont need to eat every day. Thanks!

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I feed mine 3 times daily. This forum is awesome. So many helpful people. Ask as many questions as you need. :)

Sent from my M865 using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jenley said:
...Sorry for bothering you.

I don't know how anyone could take having a little fun with a commonly asked question the way you did, but you are not bothering me or anybody else.

Didn't you see the smiley faces?

I must have typed up what to feed tortoises hundreds of times over the years and I was hoping another regular member might want to do the honors this time. That's all. Please don't take offense as none was intended. Asking questions is a good thing and we encourage that here. I'll try to be more straight forward with you in the future if that's what you'd prefer.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I "bother" Tom every chance I get. I think he likes it. His contributions to this Forum have helped me immensely. Plus, when I have asked he has given me direct advise on specific problems. With all his energy I sometimes think we should ask about his diet.

I feed my tortoise every day in addition to the grazing he does. Not sure how much he eats when he grazes, but I watch him eat at least half a pound of salad made from grass, grass hay, weeds, produce, leaves, cacti and anything else I have to offer. I give him as much variety as I can. I don't believe that he will over eat on grass and weeds. I rarely give treats ( he does find a fallen peach, appricot, or fig in the yard and checks those spots every day).

This dish has Mazuri in it as well.

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
So, grass and weeds, like from out of the yard? I'm trying to mix the diet for my little dude, too. I've offered kale, broccoli slaw and Romaine lettuce thus far.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
If my Sullys went a day without chewing something then id freak [GHOST][GHOST] they only don't eat when they sleep

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
What is the age of your tortoise?
I ask because the diet of a hatchling differs from that of an adult.
Cut out the broccoli. It's bad for tortoises. No fruit either.

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
Ugh! I missed that one. Broccoli is bad?! Why?

He's less than six months old. I really want to get all of this right. There's just so much misinformation out there.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I forget exactly why broccoli is bad. It may be the calcium to phospherous ratio, or the amount of oxalate it has. It is bad only as a part of a regular diet. It is not toxic. You could add turnip and collard to your tortoise's diet. Both are dark greens and have great amounts of calcium and fiber. Radicchio is a favorite of many young torts as is endive. Mulberry leaves are also high in fiber and calcium. My tortoise loves them. Grass from your yard can be used provided it is not treated with pesticides or fertilizers.
Here is a link to a good diet outline for your tortoise.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-64290.html

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
I'll post pic of him when I get home. He's pyramiding, so I'm keeping that heat and humidity up. He's temporarily in a 20L tank, as I'm building a huge setup in my garage, and another outside.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
NickWag said:
So, grass and weeds, like from out of the yard? I'm trying to mix the diet for my little dude, too. I've offered kale, broccoli slaw and Romaine lettuce thus far.

Weeds from the yard, yes. Dandelion, plantain, cats ear, small amounts of clover, wild geranium, lots of edible flowers from your landscaped yard, violets, roses, hibiscus.
For a youngster, with a shorter gut tract, it is more efficient for them to eat broadleaf plants compared to the grasses that take longer to breakdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.