How moist do your RF like their Substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Hiya. Just wondering how moist of substrate your RF's like? I read they like it rather moist and humid.

Trying to make it best possible for Tobster!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I keep the substrate fairly moist (not like I could ring water out of it, but moist so you can see the substrate is damp) and I do this in about 3/4 of the enclosure--mainly under the heat lamp and then there is a dry area in the cooler dark side of the enclosure---while they usually are in the warmer moist area for most of the day--they usually gravitate towards the cooler dry area for bedding down each night...well, the two babies like to remain in the warm zone in their hide with is a bit moist as well--but not wet...

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Very nice, sounds like what I'm aiming to do. :)

I've got Toby in plantation soil, at the moment. Going to add something else too it, for a bit more variety. But he loves the soil. :D

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
Haha mine love to Waller in the mud all day. If its not super hot out they go to the dry spots but with the heat we have now, they almost fight for positions I'm the mud holes. :)

wheezysmomma

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Have any of you ever had moisture bugs in your house from too much humidity? (sorry to highjack your post was just wondering as its really humid here and am worried about sow bugs etc trying to move in because of all the moisture. Thanks :)

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I haven't yet, but I'm sure it's not uncommon.

Chances are your tort would eat them, though. :p

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I added sow bugs (wood lice) to soil-based substrates as they prey on things like springtails and fungus gnats.

But yes, a damp substrate will often generate springtails (snow fleas) and fungus gnats.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Not a bad idea at all.

Seems like a good cycle.

From what I hear, they enjoy it somewhat damp, which the snowfleas like, then you add sow bugs, which the tortoises like, to eat the snowfleas and feed the tortoise a snack.

I like!

Status
Not open for further replies.