Soaks During Extremely Hot Weather

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
For some reason I believe Oli needs more than one soak a day.

Sorry can't tell you anything as far as humidity is concerned, but even flats are v dry: it's a DRY climate altogether. I'm afraid I cannot even tell what temp is in Oli's enclosure.

Go with your gut. If you think he needs more than one it certainly will not hurt!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Of course! Tuleo does this same thing and it drives me batty. He reminds me of a cat baking in a hot sun stream. If he has good shade, a good water source and he is his normal active self then I would just do 1 soak at night when its really hot. I've seen Tuleo just baking in the sun some days and under his favorite plant others. I think they like to keep us on our toes!
Oli did the same with me today. He seems to have got bored, as I usually take him out for walks, and have NOT been able to for THREE DAYS, due to v annoying SANDSTORMS.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Go with your gut. If you think he needs more than one it certainly will not hurt!
Frankly speaking, it's what I have applied. With all my respect for all; living the heat/cold is not hearing/reading about it. Know what I mean?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
For some reason I believe Oli needs more than one soak a day.

Sorry can't tell you anything as far as humidity is concerned, but even flats are v dry: it's a DRY climate altogether. I'm afraid I cannot even tell what temp is in Oli's enclosure.

Could you order a cheap little indoor temperature and humidity gauge? It might help put aside some of your worries about Oli if you could keep track of how things in the flat are changing (especially in his 'corner').

I doubt two soaks a day will hurt him, but I don't know Greeks. You don't have a humidifier by any chance, do you? It might make it more comfortable for both you and Oli. I've never lived in a desert, so for me, when I picture hot, it's also incredibly humid and I can't imagine wanting more, but in your climate, maybe you do need to add extra humidity indoors.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Could you order a cheap little indoor temperature and humidity gauge? It might help put aside some of your worries about Oli if you could keep track of how things in the flat are changing (especially in his 'corner').

I doubt two soaks a day will hurt him, but I don't know Greeks. You don't have a humidifier by any chance, do you? It might make it more comfortable for both you and Oli. I've never lived in a desert, so for me, when I picture hot, it's also incredibly humid and I can't imagine wanting more, but in your climate, maybe you do need to add extra humidity indoors.
I might have to. Such things are NOT available here. Food for torts isn't either, which in my opinion is much more important than other things.

If you are not used to this DRY climate it can really annoy you, I can understand,especially if you've never experienced it before. I am NO TORT EXPERT but I have a strong feeling that Oli does need some more humidity-just guessing, ok?

Thanks v much indeed your help.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Shade is more than enough in this flat I can assure you.The funny thing is that Oli races to the.....SUN! And when I touch his shell, I find it BOILING HOT. He really is one of a kind. ('Weirdoh', as Adam called him). When this happens I immediately move him to the shade/soak him.

Thanks your help, appreciate it.
Yep, he's a weirdo.
One 15 to 20 minute soak a day should be sufficient.
Tidgy gets one every other day, but we're usually slightly cooler than you.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Yep, he's a weirdo.
One 15 to 20 minute soak a day should be sufficient.
Tidgy gets one every other day, but we're usually slightly cooler than you.
Hi Adam. With temp reaching 38 degrees C in SEPT., do you really think that one soak is enough for a.....weirdoh: OLI?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi Adam. With temp reaching 30 degrees C in SEPT., do you really think that one soak is enough for a.....weirdoh: OLI?
Yup, I do.
He'll be able to poo and poop if need be, absorb enough moisture into his skin and cloaca and have an extra drink.
I find you if do it too much and they get unnecessarily stressed.