Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Like I've always said...its his way or the highway! Their loss, Maggie. You're much better appreciated here.

M

Maggie Cummings

Awww, thank you so much...:D I know I certainly have made friends here. And you can't beat the way Bob is loved/liked. I appreciate the forum as well. That's why I try so hard to be appreciated by all the members. I work hard and I am careful to not battle as much as is my nature.

and PULEAZE don't anybody give Stephanie my address, she is dying to help me out by doing anything/something for me. She wants to spend money hiring someone to wash my windows or ledges or vacuum, and while I so appreciate the thought I am fine! Just sick is all...:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So wait sulc's need humidity? I am shocked

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
So...Annie's real name isn't Andrew H., is it? I am having trouble keeping up with all the double entendres.:rolleyes:

And what makes you think I'm the only one on this forum who'd like to get you some help while your feet heal and your illness passes?;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Annie is a real person who has a YAHOOgroups listserv for desert tortoise people. She is great friends with Andy Highfield who is also on that listserv.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Oh. So (to continue OT) Annie and company don't think humidity is a critical factor in pyramiding/Sucata health?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
maggie3fan said:
kimber_lee_314 said:
maggie3fan said:
kimber_lee_314 said:
maggie3fan said:
I had 100 the last few daze I lived in Calif. Then I moved them all up here and realized the rain wasn't good for them and I didn't really (no matter how bad I tried)have enough room for them. So my sister kept some and adopted some and now I have 27 until I look into this Egyptian tortoise, they are too sweet to be ignored...

Maggie - I think I've seen you on some of the yahoo forums - were you a member of the gopherus group for a while?

At last count I have 40 tortoises and 15 turtles, but I'm always taking in rescues, nursing them back to health, and finding them homes. Plus, I hatch eggs - just for the fun of it - and give them away too - so there are always little ones around here. I live in So Cal so most of the year they are outside, and the majority of them hibernate when they're not. I have a really large yard and have built pens for them so the different species don't mix. My vet knows me well! :) I make a good salary and have no children, so the money and care isn't really an issue . Actually - taking care of them is such a joy for me! I've been watching that show hoarders - and believe me - my house is NOT like that - but I see how "collecting" things has become a problem for some of these people. It scares me that I might get like that with my shelled friends.

Just curious about how others feel ...
Yes, I was until I had a dispute with Annie and his majesty the baby. I left the list and was banned from forever being around them again. Their loss.

Ha ha! I thought that was you - I remember that dispute well! :0

Yes, I am afraid that dispute will be my legacy. But I stand on my beliefs, Sulcata do indeed need humidity!!! Right now in Dakar Senegal the ambient humidity is 88% That's Sulcata main territory 88% I will scream it to my death...Sulcata need humidity!!! I didn't argue with him very well and I had the English followers backing as well, so they were 'yelling' at me and he was arguing against me something awful. Made me look like a fool.

Just for the record, I think you handled yourself well. :) My feelings were that others acted foolishly when you voiced an opinion that they didn't like. We're all here to learn and it's a shame when others can't even listen to a differing opinion. How are we supposed to grow if we don't challenge our beliefs?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
You guys are wonderful to have more then one tortoise and be able to keep up with it. Dale is a handful.:D Always demanding my attention and food and water! :p I guess that's why I'm looking for another one. :D

You guys are wonderful to have more then one tortoise and be able to keep up with it. Dale is a handful.:D Always demanding my attention and food and water! :p I guess that's why I'm looking for another one. :D Addictive I tell you, addictive, that's what they are. ;)

-ryan-

5 Year Member
I think that a person has too many animals when they do not have the physical, emotional, or financial capability to care for each and every one of them. This has actually been a topic I have thought about a lot recently. My collection is small, and I intend to keep it that way for quite a while:

1.3.2 Russians (presumably 3.3, though I am giving one of the hatchlings away this week)
1.0 Red foot
1.0 bearded dragon (8-9 y/o with cancer, but he's a trooper)
1.0 Ball Python
0.1 Mali Uromastyx
1.0 White's tree frog
1.0 Albino African Clawed Frog

That's plenty for right now, though at some point in the future I would like to get girly friends for the red foot and the ball python :)

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
It's great that you are fostering. That's what I'd like to do but, there are so many Sulcatta's and others here in the Desert that people were selling around the Holidays.

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
How many is too many?
I've only got about 40. I'll let you know if I ever figure out how many is too many.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Hahaha...what this thread proves without a doubt, is that tortoises are addicting!;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They are like lay's potato chips, you can't eat just one, but I do not approve of eating tortoises. :)

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I'm lucky I don't have room in my apartment for more... Or I would be up to my knees in them perrrty creatures ;)

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
How many is too many 8" adults in a 2 x 5 foot table?

Status
Not open for further replies.