How many is too many?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
How many turtles/tortoises makes one a hoarder? I have so many shelled friends - they are all very well cared for with lovely outdoor pens, careful feeding schedules, regular vet visits, but sometimes I wonder if I would be considered a hoarder. How many is too many? Your thoughts please ...

shelber10

10 Year Member!
long island NY
i dont know how much is too much it depends on the person if you can provide enough space for them and they are all healthy you can have as many as you want

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
If you realize you are a hoarder, I can take a few off your hands :]

I would only think you are if you lived in not so great conditions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the term "hoarder" can only be applied if the person has so many animals that the animals suffer from poor care, lack of correct food, crowded conditions, etc.

If you have plenty of space and are able to give each animal the proper care and attention, then even though you may have many, many animals, you are not a hoarder.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Great answers everyone! Just like Yvonne said- as long as you can provide proper care, attention, space, etc.
I also think it's important that you can afford to take them to the vet if necessary.
Out of curiosity, how many shelled friends do you have? :)

Some breeders especially will have dozens and dozens of tortoises!

M

Maggie Cummings

I had 100 the last few daze I lived in Calif. Then I moved them all up here and realized the rain wasn't good for them and I didn't really (no matter how bad I tried)have enough room for them. So my sister kept some and adopted some and now I have 27 until I look into this Egyptian tortoise, they are too sweet to be ignored...

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
maggie3fan said:
I had 100 the last few daze I lived in Calif. Then I moved them all up here and realized the rain wasn't good for them and I didn't really (no matter how bad I tried)have enough room for them. So my sister kept some and adopted some and now I have 27 until I look into this Egyptian tortoise, they are too sweet to be ignored...

Maggie - I think I've seen you on some of the yahoo forums - were you a member of the gopherus group for a while?

At last count I have 40 tortoises and 15 turtles, but I'm always taking in rescues, nursing them back to health, and finding them homes. Plus, I hatch eggs - just for the fun of it - and give them away too - so there are always little ones around here. I live in So Cal so most of the year they are outside, and the majority of them hibernate when they're not. I have a really large yard and have built pens for them so the different species don't mix. My vet knows me well! :) I make a good salary and have no children, so the money and care isn't really an issue . Actually - taking care of them is such a joy for me! I've been watching that show hoarders - and believe me - my house is NOT like that - but I see how "collecting" things has become a problem for some of these people. It scares me that I might get like that with my shelled friends.

Just curious about how others feel ...

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
You sound like a wonderful owner!! It definitely sounds like your torts are thriving, and that's amazing that you take in rescues!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I personally believe it is not the number but the conditions they are kept in, if you have a 1000 torts but they are welll taken care of, who is to say that is to many?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I think it really depends upon the persons resources, time to devote and desire for the commitment. Everyone is different. Some people are content with one or two tortoises, many other people are not. I am one of those that are not. But I also devote a lot of money, time and other resources caring for them. They reward me with offspring which helps pay for their upkeep.
I think that the question "How many is too many" takes affect when a person reaches the point of having so many that they no longer have the money, time and resources to properly care for each individual animal. Ultimately in any situation like that the animals suffer.
There has been several cases in recent years of people taking in so many cats, dogs, horses or birds "to give them a better home". The people become so obsessed with doing so that they get in way over their heads and reach a point quickly where they simply don't have the resources to properly care for the number of animals that they have.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
dmmj said:
I personally believe it is not the number but the conditions they are kept in, if you have a 1000 torts but they are welll taken care of, who is to say that is to many?

Are you trying to tell us something? Is your conscience nagging you? You know you can confide in your friends here at TFO...;)

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Years ago, a woman's dowry consisted of land and farm animals, which was some of the family's wealth.

What guy wouldn't want a girl with a large yard and Noah's Ark docked in the backyard?

Maybe this should be added to ones online dating profile?:shy:

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Year's ago? Heck, if you move to the right third world country that's still possible! Of course, you might have to wear nothing but a bamboo thong on your privates and wear a plate in your lip the rest of you life!

But it might be worth it.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
I'm talking about here. My first wife had a dowry. Not much. Should have locked the hopeless chest and tossed it into the river.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I agree with everyone here that you aren't a hoarder until you aren't caring for them as they deserve. Having money put aside for big purchases and vet bills is a great idea even for those of us with one tortoise. Best wishes.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I think you have a problem when you can't aknowledge that you need to let some go (rehome them) or that you have moved beyond your capacity and it is negatively effecting the lives of the tortoises.

M

Maggie Cummings

kimber_lee_314 said:
maggie3fan said:

Maggie - I think I've seen you on some of the yahoo forums - were you a member of the gopherus group for a while?

At last count I have 40 tortoises and 15 turtles, but I'm always taking in rescues, nursing them back to health, and finding them homes. Plus, I hatch eggs - just for the fun of it - and give them away too - so there are always little ones around here. I live in So Cal so most of the year they are outside, and the majority of them hibernate when they're not. I have a really large yard and have built pens for them so the different species don't mix. My vet knows me well! :) I make a good salary and have no children, so the money and care isn't really an issue . Actually - taking care of them is such a joy for me! I've been watching that show hoarders - and believe me - my house is NOT like that - but I see how "collecting" things has become a problem for some of these people. It scares me that I might get like that with my shelled friends.

Yes, I was until I had a dispute with Annie and his majesty the baby. I left the list and was banned from forever being around them again. Their loss.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
...sounds like an interesting story. Did any photos of His Majesty survive the dispute?;)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
maggie3fan said:
kimber_lee_314 said:
maggie3fan said:

Yes, I was until I had a dispute with Annie and his majesty the baby. I left the list and was banned from forever being around them again. Their loss.

Ha ha! I thought that was you - I remember that dispute well! :0

M

Maggie Cummings

kimber_lee_314 said:
maggie3fan said:
kimber_lee_314 said:
maggie3fan said:

Ha ha! I thought that was you - I remember that dispute well! :0

Yes, I am afraid that dispute will be my legacy. But I stand on my beliefs, Sulcata do indeed need humidity!!! Right now in Dakar Senegal the ambient humidity is 88% That's Sulcata main territory 88% I will scream it to my death...Sulcata need humidity!!! I didn't argue with him very well and I had the English followers backing as well, so they were 'yelling' at me and he was arguing against me something awful. Made me look like a fool.

Status
Not open for further replies.