How long is a tortoise classed as a baby?

tanya

Sorry to sound stupid, just wondered how long tortoises are classed as babies for?

Also is it normal that a 1 year old sleeps more in the winter. He is eating etc as normal just seems a bit less active.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There is no set "rule" or accepted set of scientific ages to define titles.

Here are my guidelines:
Hatchling until they lose their egg tooth.
Baby until one year.
Yearling from one year until two.
Juvenile from two years until they reach adult size.
Sub adult when they are technically big enough to reproduce, but still on the small side for their species.
Adult once they put on "some size" and have been reproducing for at least a couple of years.

For example: I have a 4.5 year old male sulcata that is around 16". He's certainly big enough to reproduce, but he's no "adult" yet at his size. I refer to him as a subadult. His clutch mate sister is twice his weight and much bigger too. At 50 pounds she would certainly qualify as an "adult" female.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Plus one here.

In my wife's eyes. our two years old sulcata still her baby.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
I second bouaboua's and Jlant85's points. My oldest female marginated Lady Gino is going to be eleven years old this summer. She measures around twelve inches, has laid a few clutches of eggs, and she's still my baby. So yes, many of these terms are subjective, though I second everything Tom said. Such appears to be the most apt and logical usage of the terminology.

T.G.