Baby tortoise normal activity.

Sau96sag

I have 2 baby spur thighed tortoises. That are 6 months old. They are different sizes. The littlest tortoise is very active, has a large appetite, likes to stay under the heat uvb lamp and loves exploring the garden when its nice weather for short spells. The larger one is less active. I tend to have to put it under the lamp to wake up and feed then it usually goes back to its bedroom to sleep. I bath them every afternoon and let them out in the sun, the biggest one tends to stay in the same area and bites stones the whole time the little one wonders everywhere. When I bring them back to their table the biggest one goes straight to the bedroom and goes to sleep? The little one stays out under the lamp active.

Is the different in activity levels normal between babies?

How often is a 6 month old usually awake for?

Thanks for your help.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
I have 2 baby spur thighed tortoises. That are 6 months old. They are different sizes. The littlest tortoise is very active, has a large appetite, likes to stay under the heat uvb lamp and loves exploring the garden when its nice weather for short spells. The larger one is less active. I tend to have to put it under the lamp to wake up and feed then it usually goes back to its bedroom to sleep. I bath them every afternoon and let them out in the sun, the biggest one tends to stay in the same area and bites stones the whole time the little one wonders everywhere. When I bring them back to their table the biggest one goes straight to the bedroom and goes to sleep? The little one stays out under the lamp active.

Is the different in activity levels normal between babies?

How often is a 6 month old usually awake for?

Thanks for your help.
I have no idea. I hope you get some help here soon! The biting of the stones sounds strange...! Hope he is not swallowing them too if they are too small.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They should not be living as a pair. It is always intimidating and stressful of or at least one of the pair. You should separate them, and give them each their own enclosure.

Your substrate is too dry and encouraging a tortoise to eat is substrate to satisfy calcium cravings is a bad idea. You need to switch it out for either coco coir or fine grade orchid bark.

You need a larger food bowl too.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Bullying leads to one tort stressed and less active.
I recommend coir for babies, it holds humidity and lets them burrow.