How long does chemicals last

swatsx

5 Year Member
So my mother n law had a big dandelion problem last year and I would spray her yard every couple weeks till June of 2014 and still she had dandelions if this is the same problem can I use this years dandelions from her yard to feed my torts? Of course I will not be spraying anything on the lawn but would there be any chance of the old chemicals from almost a year ago causing a problem? Same applies for the clover in my yard I sprayed once last May do you think it's ok to use them now? I live in Michigan with heavy snow winters don't know if that helps any

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You should be fine to feed the weeds. Most die out at at least 6 months if not sooner.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The ONLY way to answer this question would be to test the soil and see what residual chemical remain. You can get soil testing kits online. I think you might have to hunt around for someone who tests for chemical residue.

Personally, I would not risk it.

swatsx

5 Year Member
Thanks Tom I'll just stick to the weeds and that from the back yard might even have a couple pots with different grasses too my back yard hasn't had anything sprayed since my dogs over 5 years ago