How important is air circulation for greeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VENZZ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
S.F. California
How important is air circulation for greeks torts?

I m currently using a glass viv that's pretty tall. I m considering building a tort table that is shallow and adding a small fan to circulate the air.

moswen

5 Year Member
well, i think the idea behind air circulation comes into play when you have a lid and there is just no air movement whatsoever. for the tortoises who don't come from a humid, stale environment (like greeks) they just need more air flow than a closed lid will allow. you definately don't need a fan! lots of ppl keep thier torts in glass vivs, it helps keep the humidity up which we have recently found is necessary. like, how tall is tall? i think if it's under 2 feet tall you're 100% safe.

some of the reasons for air circluation include keeping the air clean and the substrate not moldy, preventing shell rot, and etc... your tort doesn't really need to feel wind on it's shell at all times or anything.

kit-e-kat

5 Year Member
Gardena, Ca.
From what I've researched, the glass may present a problem. Torts don't understand the concept of glass, or other types of barriers. My Greeks tend to get caught in the chain link fence when I take them outside, their arms going through, but their shells won't fit through, so I have to work them out. They see through the fence and can't understand why they can't get through. A Tort table is probably best, but if you must keep them in a glass enclosure, consider blocking the line of sigh at their level.
John and Joanie

greeks

5 Year Member
New England
I too have read from quite a few sources that recommend pretty strongly against glass vivs for tortoises, particularly Greeks. most folks use either wooden tort tables or plastic rubbermaid type bins. I personally use the latter open topped and keep them propped off the floor to keep air circulating freely around and in the enclosure. I run a humidifier in the room the torts are in because I live in a super dry winter area of the U.S. Haven't had too many problems with temps or humidity.

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia
I keep mine in an open top 40 gallon breeder tank. I find it easier to keep temps and humidity up. I do not have a problem with my tort trying to walk to through the glass all day as I have heard some people say they will do.

moswen

5 Year Member
glass is only a problem if your tortoise's personality is one that he/she continually digs at the corners. some torts do, some torts don't. my little moswen will go absolutely insane in his clear plastic soaking tub but my little girls just sit and hang. it doesn't bother my spiders either, but i have to put mos in a red tub so that he doesn't flip out. if your tort isn't digging at the glass incessantly all day long then you don't have a problem!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I prefer Rubbermaid storage bins as they're lightweight, waterproof, easy to clean, and CHEAP. They also have good floor area and even the 700 gallon models still only have a height of 25". If you have trouble keeping the temps up in a Rubbermaid then cover 1/3 of it with a piece of cardboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.