How high can a sulcata climb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have some landscaping around the area Tortimer hangs out. It's already walled off slightly, but he can now climb up there. We are going to raise these walls, we are thinking around 24 inches. Should this be enough to keep the sully out? nocking down the walls wont be an issue as there will be dirt on the other side making a raised garden area.

S

Scooter

It depends on the size. This will keep a small sully out for a little while but eventually will need to be built higher. How big is Tortimer?

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Tortimer is 13 inches SCL right now. I'm thinking around 24 inches tall. It will be built in such a way that we can raise it higher if he can climb up there. I guess it depends on if he can pull his weight up there with his front legs. right now it's only about 6-8 inches and he just started to climb up there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They are surprisingly agile climbers. I've always tried to incorporate hills and elevation changes in my enclosure. They walk right up some pretty steep slopes, like it flat ground. 24" should contain a 13" sulcata for a while. That's about the height of my wall and my biggest is around 20".

Show us a pic to make sure. There can't be anything around for them to climb on or use for a step or traction.

moswen

5 Year Member
not to steal your thread, but tortimer is such an AWESOME name!! i love the names you guys come up with, tortimer and living stone and baby bowser... i'm glad i already had my torts named when i came on here lol, i'd be very tempted to steal some of yours!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.