First Sulcata!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexor65

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
So this isn't technically my first sulcata. My parents have two sulcatas and four dessert tortoises but I've never had one under a year before. My roommate and I built a 2.5 foot by 4 foot wooden enclosure with 8" high walls. We filled it with rabbit pellets, a food dish, a hide log for him to sleep under, and various obstacles for him to climb over and under. We also bought a heat lamp and a UVB lamp for it. Is that enough? the heat lamp is in one corner of the enclosure and the UVB lamp is in the middle of the enclosure facing towards the area where he hangs out the most. For such a big enclosure should we have more UVB light? I'm also not sure what to do for humidity purposes, any suggestions?? thanks!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is how I like to care for them.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1WBqMVevJ

In my opinion rabbit pellets are no good for a number of reasons. I used to use them a lot. Now I know better. I don't like open tortoise tables for small ones either because, at least in my area, it is impossible to maintain adequate humidity in them for a growing baby sulcata.

What kind of UV light did you get? If its the coil type, I would recommend you shut it down immediately. They can burn their eyes. We've seen it a lot here. The tubes are fine, but don't provide enough UV in my experience. If your tortoise gets regular sun throughout the year, a UV tube will work just fine for you.

What kind of heat lamp did you get? Those red ones sometimes cause problems as they make things look "funny" to them during the day. The best solution for heat, light AND UV is to buy a Mercury Vapor Bulb. It gives you everything all in one convenient package. You might still need a Ceramic Heating Element for night. Depends on your environment.

Tnewton

5 Year Member
I personally like sani chips, I know some think there to dry but I like using them. I place moss im the hide box so their getting quite a bit of humidity in there and since most of the time is spent in there they seem to be ok, they are growing like weeds. I do keep my water dish closer to my CHE so this will also add humidity

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
One of the issues with the rabbit pellets, is that they mold when they get wet and with a sulcata needing it to be humid you will run into issues with it.

rexor65

5 Year Member
Arizona
Tom said:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1WBqMVevJ

In my opinion rabbit pellets are no good for a number of reasons. I used to use them a lot. Now I know better. I don't like open tortoise tables for small ones either because, at least in my area, it is impossible to maintain adequate humidity in them for a growing baby sulcata.

What kind of UV light did you get? If its the coil type, I would recommend you shut it down immediately. They can burn their eyes. We've seen it a lot here. The tubes are fine, but don't provide enough UV in my experience. If your tortoise gets regular sun throughout the year, a UV tube will work just fine for you.

What kind of heat lamp did you get? Those red ones sometimes cause problems as they make things look "funny" to them during the day. The best solution for heat, light AND UV is to buy a Mercury Vapor Bulb. It gives you everything all in one convenient package. You might still need a Ceramic Heating Element for night. Depends on your environment.

Thanks Tom! I've been reading a lot about changing the substrate so I will definitely do that. The heat lamp isn't a red one so we don't have to worry about that. As for the UV light, it is a coil light but i'm not sure our sulcata will be able to get the sunlight it needs to just have the tube lighting.

Tnewton

5 Year Member
You live in AZ, why wouldnt your sulcata be able to get sunlight????

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those coil bulbs are really bad for young tortoises. I would get rid of that asap. It is known that they have caused blindness in young tortoises and lizards. I like the MVB (mercury vapor bulb) because it is heat and UV all in one light/fixture. They cost quite a bit more, but you really get better benefits from them in the long run.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
rexor65 said:
Tom said:

As for the UV light, it is a coil light but i'm not sure our sulcata will be able to get the sunlight it needs to just have the tube lighting.

If that's the case then you need a Mercury Vapor Bulb. Neither type of florescent will provide adequate UV in my experience and the coil types can permanently blind them. I highly recommend you turn the coil bulb off right away. Better to have NO UV for a week or two than to be permanently blinded.

They NEED sunshine. Its really good for them in a number of ways. Exercise and grazing while outdoors are highly beneficial too. They don't have to have it all day every day, but 20-30 minutes each day or an hour or two a couple times a week would be enough. I strive for about an hour or two a day for hatchlings and gradually more as they get bigger. By the time mine are a year or so, I leave them out in the sun all day and just bring them in at night. There are lots of creative ways to do this safely. Browse around in the enclosure section and I bet something will inspire you.

Sorry if this sounds like a lecture... just trying to help.

rexor65

5 Year Member
Arizona
Hey everyone thanks for the advice! Definitely a few things I will be changing here in the next week or two! As for the outside part, I live in an apartment this year so its harder to find an area to let him roam outside but I am going to make it work out somehow!

Status
Not open for further replies.