how fast should a healthy sulcata be growing?

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
My "baby" sulcata went from silver dollar size when I got her in september to now larger then my hand at 9 months old. She don't get store bought things but weeds,clover,grasses,timothy hay and some flowers and leaves. I no longer feed her daily but every other day.. No pyramiding just growing real fast! is this about right for a captive Sulcata? other then growing fast she is very active and healthy... with summer here I let her graze outside.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes, they grow very quickly. It is quite ok to feed the tortoise daily. Most of us do.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
In the wild your tort would eat every day. If food is scarce then they can get by, but that is not a choice they make. It is not natural to withhold food. Sulcatas are big torts with big appetites and they grow fast. They need to be fed every day in my opinion.

Have you read these important threads?

Sulcata Diet Sheet
How to raise a healthy Sulcata
Beginner Mistakes

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds normal and good. You must have bought from a good source. Where did you get her?

Your diet sounds great. Let your tortoise eat.

Are you offering cuttlebone or some calcium supplementation with all that growth? Sunshine time outside sounds great too.

Dobby The Tortoise

5 Year Member
Texas
I was just wondering this too. My tortoise fit in my car cup holder when I got him (store I got him from said he was 1 year old) so now he would be 3 years old and he's 8 inches long

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
Sounds normal and good. You must have bought from a good source. Where did you get her?

Your diet sounds great. Let your tortoise eat.

Are you offering cuttlebone or some calcium supplementation with all that growth? Sunshine time outside sounds great too.
I got her from "the tortoise shack".. the people there were very helpful to me. I leave cuttlebone in her enclosure and also bring her outside when the weather permits.. otherwise I leave her vitalite on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I didin't know they still sold Vita-Lites. That's a blast from the past.

Where are you? More outside time would be good. Vita-Lites of yesteryear did not produce much UV.

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
I didin't know they still sold Vita-Lites. That's a blast from the past.

Where are you? More outside time would be good. Vita-Lites of yesteryear did not produce much UV.
I live way up north in MN.. I get most of Willow's supplies online( the only place to find vita lites and mercury vapor lamps which I also use)