How Does a Tort Grow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sally Franklin Christie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montana USA
I have a dalmatian Hermann's Tortoise, a yearling.

Where does it grow? Do the outer edges of each shell segments grow? Is it like growth rings on a tree? I am supposing if that is how it grows the growth must be happening everywhere or she'd get all lop sided.

Is there a way to spot new growth?

Am I even asking the question right?

Thanks everyone for the help I am about to receive!

Sally and her Yet to be Named Tort...

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Yes, and yes. The outer perimeter of each scute grows, adding a new growth line. It's like a puzzle where each piece grows and the resulting big picture (the shell) gets bigger as a result. But unlike a tree which adds a line per year, a tortoise can have 3-4 or more growth spurts per year. The new growth line will start to appear as a lighter coloured line.

Sally Franklin Christie

5 Year Member
Montana USA
Thanks for that answer.

Now, a new one.

I got my tortoise in early October. I've had her about ten weeks. In the last week she has begun to eat more. She seems to be shy and if I want to see her eat I have to be very still and give her space. She is eating more and actually using the water dish, clay dish that should go under a clay pot. Now, I am concerned that I haven't seen her poop in a while. Maybe she is doing it in the soil but I can't tell. I try to soak her once a day.

My question is, Is she eating more because she is getting ready to grow or is she eating more because she has finally settled in?

Thanks!
Sally

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
More than likely because she has settled in. I've had my Greek tortoise for a few months now (since May?) and she's done nothing but eat more and more as time has gone on. She's grown some too.

Status
Not open for further replies.