How do your tortoise tables support the weight of soil?

dew

Location (City and/or State)
New York
The tortoise table I am planning on building will hold ~1 cubic yard of soil, this equates to 2000 lbs. How do your tables support this?? The soil will have a 12 inch depth.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The tortoise table I am planning on building will hold ~1 cubic yard of soil, this equates to 2000 lbs. How do your tables support this?? The soil will have a 12 inch depth.
Soil should not be used as tortoise substrate, and there is no reason to go 12 inches deep in a table.

I use raised garden beds outdoors with soil and dirt mixed in them to grow food for the torts. If properly built with 2x4 framing and the correct support, they hold up just fine even when full of wet dirt.

dew

New York
Soil should not be used as tortoise substrate, and there is no reason to go 12 inches deep in a table.

I use raised garden beds outdoors with soil and dirt mixed in them to grow food for the torts. If properly built with 2x4 framing and the correct support, they hold up just fine even when full of wet dirt.
So what substrate and depth should be used?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Um, I think you said it with "Soil", Many folks, depending on the species, would be using Orchid Bark or Coir. . .and 12" deep. . . why so deep?

dew

New York
Um, I think you said it with "Soil", Many folks, depending on the species, would be using Orchid Bark or Coir. . .and 12" deep. . . why so deep?
I've heard that 8-12" is acceptable for russians

dew

New York
3-4 inches of damp fine grade orchid bark will work best.
Do you have anywhere you buy it from? All orchid bark I see is in very small packages and quite pricey.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you have anywhere you buy it from? All orchid bark I see is in very small packages and quite pricey.
Its easy to find in bulk at garden centers here. On your side of the country you might have to buy it from Chewy.com or Petco.com (called repti-bark) if you ca't find it at local garden centers in bulk.