How do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew71888

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Colony Tx
How do you know when the uvb light effect wears off. I do not remember when i purchased this bulb but i think its starting to lose effect. Is there anyway i should know?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you had a very expensive measuring device, you could tell. For everyone else, replace them every 6-12 months. Often, it says so on the package. If your 12 months is up in the Spring time and you plan on getting your tortoises out in the sun a lot, then I'd wait until the fall to replace it. I save them or use them on animals like snakes, that don't really need the UV. I don't throw them away as long as they still work.

andrew71888

5 Year Member
The Colony Tx
Well tortoises require uvb lights. ANd i am taking a guess but i think it has been over 6 months so i do not think they are getting the right lighting.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
6 months for tube lights and 12 months for mercury vapor bulbs is when they have decayed enough that you should replace them. Not sure on the other types but you can look up the name of the bulb if you don't have the packaging and should be easily able to find it. I don't like to take any chances so I write on my calendar when to replace the bulb in addition to keeping a spare in the house (although by keeping a spare if your bulb comes with a warranty, such as 6 months for the T-Rex MVBs, the warranty starts when you buy it, not when you start to use it).

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"i am taking a guess but i think it has been over 6 months so i do not think they are getting the right lighting."

Here's what I do to avoid having to guess when a bulb needs to be replaced: I simply write the date that I put a new bulb in service directly on the bulb where it is easily visible at all times. Use a permanent marker. It serves as a constant reminder.

samstar

5 Year Member
I plan on changing my megaray mvb every year. I leave it on 6-8 hours daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.