How do you make EBT eat Zoo Med Box Turtle Food?

I feed them meal worms and Crickets now. But Zoo Med Box Turtle Food looks have more balanced nutritions and
Calcium, my EBT babies won't eat. How to let them eat?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think you need to add more to their diet then just the box turtle food. They need to be fed as big of a variety as possible. To get them to eat something they are not used to, as for pellets, I would crush them and mix them with what they do like and maybe spritz water in it so that it sticks.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I have 10 boxies and have never seen any of mine eat it, I still put it out to use it up, but they could careless.

I think you need to add more to their diet then just the box turtle food. They need to be fed as big of a variety as possible. To get them to eat something they are not used to, as for pellets, I would crush them and mix them with what they do like and maybe spritz water in it so that it sticks.
Thank you. I would find more food, but want to use box turtle food as a mix.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I make a mix with greens, mushrooms, veggies and fruit. I always add cooked sweet potato and cooked carrots, but change the mix each week. To that mix I add some kind of commercial turtle food, like turtle brittle or water turtle pellets. I've also added the Zoo Med many times to the mix. I find that baby box turtles like live food more than anything, but if I add ground venison to the mix they will eat some of it. For the babies I grind it up in a blender, but for the adults, I just chop it up in small pieces.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Here's a picture of the mix. I'll try to get a picture of a baby bt that I have inside eating this tomorrow. He only takes a few nibbles and then goes for his worms though. These are two of my adults eating the mix I make with the ground venison.14b3zfq.jpg

I make a mix with greens, mushrooms, veggies and fruit. I always add cooked sweet potato and cooked carrots, but change the mix each week. To that mix I add some kind of commercial turtle food, like turtle brittle or water turtle pellets. I've also added the Zoo Med many times to the mix. I find that baby box turtles like live food more than anything, but if I add ground venison to the mix they will eat some of it. For the babies I grind it up in a blender, but for the adults, I just chop it up in small pieces.
Yes, they like live food very much!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Most babies won't even eat greens or anything but live food. That's why when I start them off with veggies and greens I throw in some venison.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You mean do they finish it? lol I have 11 turtles in that garden, and I have to put about five or six dishes in different places around the garden, and every plate is finished. If they could lick the dish they would.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Most babies won't even eat greens or anything but live food. That's why when I start them off with veggies and greens I throw in some venison.

Do you feed raw or cooked venison & sweet potatoes? Thanks

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I cook the sweet potato and the venison (if I can't get any ground fresh venison) is Wellness or Smart Balance dog food. I have a friend who sometimes gives me some fresh ground venison for my turtles. Not often though, mostly the dog food.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
In the Summer when they're outside, they will eat every day. In the Winter when I take them in they usually start off eating every other day, but they will go through a period in the Winter where they won't eat for two or three weeks. New hatchlings I feed every day and if they won't eat I soak them for a bit in warm water and put their food in the water.

In the Summer when they're outside, they will eat every day. In the Winter when I take them in they usually start off eating every other day, but they will go through a period in the Winter where they won't eat for two or three weeks. New hatchlings I feed every day and if they won't eat I soak them for a bit in warm water and put their food in the water.
Thank you! Very helpful.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Here's a picture of the mix. I'll try to get a picture of a baby bt that I have inside eating this tomorrow. He only takes a few nibbles and then goes for his worms though. These are two of my adults eating the mix I make with the ground venison.View attachment 118885
Blueberries and served on a plate! ! ! !

WOW..What a life..........:eek::eek::p