How do you ID your Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheACO731

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The OC
All my tortoises have micro chips, but that doesn't help if they were to get out of my yard and someone other than Animal Control finds them. Other than writing my # on thier back with a sharpie, how do you do it. or is this the best way?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Instead of a sharpie, try writing some ID with latex or acrylic paint- fewer chemicals that might cause a problem, and probably lasts a bit longer.

I take monthly photos- top, bottom, side, head. A book I read years ago (Sherlock Bones) discussed an idea I have recommended ever since- have a 'lost pet kit' ready.

1. Introduce your pet to your neighbors- bring them a nice gift or snack, chat, introduce the animal, talk to them about it, etc. Your neighbors are the MOST likely to find it if it gets out, so having them on your side is a huge benefit. A side effect is that they can also help you protect your animals by watching out for them. Besides- don't most of us need to know our neighbors better?

2. Prepare a list of fax numbers and email accounts of people who might get a weird animal call- zoo, nature center, vets, local shelters, pet shops, etc. The more the better.

3. Prepare a 'Lost Turtle' flyer. Keep it simple; feature a big, clear photo or two; offer a reward in big letters; and use a number that is 'safe' (one you actually answer and don't mind strangers knowing- an adult's cell phone is usually fine.) Use simple words- 'turtle' means more to most people than 'tortoise' does, and no one knows what the heck a Spur-thighed Tortoise is, so let the photo do the describing.

Yeah- I KNOW it is not lost yet- that is the idea! Have the sign made up so all you have to do is to drop in a fairly recent photo and you can instantly fax or email it to the list above, and print out a dozen to post in the neighborhood while someone else gets more copies printed up for wider distribution.

Oh, and try to get a kid involved in the photo. Not only does it give the photo scale, it improves your odds.

Good luck!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
This is what my friend, Shelly Jones did with her Russians:

" HOW I MARKED MY TORTOISES

Materials I used: All can be purchased at an office supply store.

Avery labeler
Avery tape (different colors to choose from)
5 minute epoxy
scotch tape

Step by Step procedures:

1. I punched out my phone number on the Avery tape labeler. I did not bother with an area code. I trimmed down the tape so that it was as small as possible. I put it up to the supracaudal scute and made sure it was small enough not to go into any growth areas. This is very, very important. It has to fit onto the old growth area of the scute. You also have to allow for a small margin all around the label that does not go into the growth area.

2. Once I made sure the Avery tape with my phone number was small enough, I went and washed my tortoise with a tooth brush to make sure there was no debris on his shell and then let him dry completely. I then peeled off the sticky part of the label and placed it on the shell, allowing for the margin.

3. After I was satisfied that the label was on straight and not entering growth area I got the scotch tape out and put tape on the carapace bordering the label on all sides with about a 1/8th inch to 1/16th inch margin between the label and the scotch tape. This tape is only temporary. It is there to prevent the epoxy from going into growth areas between scutes and providing a nice straight border. The epoxy will be placed overtop the label and into this small margin.

4. Mix up the 5 minute epoxy. I used a tooth pick to mix it on a paper plate and then used another tooth pick to “brush on” the epoxy. Apply this before it becomes too firm to spread. I put it over the label and into the margin. If some runs past the tape, wipe off excess with a damp rag immediately. You will have to hold your tortoise so that the supracaudal scute is flat (head will be slightly lower than the rear end) until the epoxy is set to prevent it from running (about 2 to 5 minutes). The scotch tape should be removed as soon as the epoxy is no longer runny but not completely set yet. That way you will have a nice border . The epoxy will take about ten minutes to be hard. I strongly urge you to practice once on a paper plate so that you are comfortable with the timing of everything.

My tortoises were all about 4 inches in size when I did this. You may have to be more creative with smaller torts. Larger torts may be able to get a mark put on the inside of the carapace by a rear leg. I marked mine three summers ago. The mark looks as good as the day I put it on. The shells have shown no sign of problems from having the mark on them. They don’t even know that they have the marks on.

I chose to mark my tortoise with a phone number because that met my needs. I am sure that the same procedure could be used to identify tortoises and turtles with an identification other than a phone number. This type of marking should be considered semi- permanent. I am sure it will eventually wear off but should not be used for short term needs.

The information sheet I worked with to get my information said that you could use acrylic paint instead of an Avery label if preferred. Paint a small amount onto the shell and then use an ink pen with a fine tip to mark the phone number onto the painted spot. Then put the epoxy over this. The downfall to this procedure, according to the article, is that ink will fade. The article also mentioned that for hatchlings and very small tortoises, you will have to use more than one scute.

(c) Shelly Jones 2001"...this was copied from the RussianTortoise yahoo group.

I am currently starting to do this with my tortoises, due to the fact I want anybody caring for my animals (or in case I die) to be able to tell one from another. To the average person, one Redfoot looks just like the next one. :p Instead of a phone number it has an ID that is special to each group (such as Russian or Redfoot) and then to each individual animal.

Shelly gave me three of her marked Russians three or four years ago now. Their numbers are still there and easily seen. Of course, if you move (like Shelly did) the phone number might not stay the same. :rolleyes:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You could also use Shelley's method, only using one of your address labels instead.

Yvonne

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Never thought of ID's. How about a text message id? i.e text shelley to 12345.

5 minute epoxy is not waterproof. Only 30 and 60 minute Epoxies are.

Also, 5 minute radiates a lot of heat like a Habanero Pepper.

Granted the label, paint, GPS, etc will only last until the next molt.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you go back to the thread "Plowshare tortoise" and notice the front edge of the coastal scutes on the large tortoise the man is stroking. You can see notches in the edge. That's the way a lot of researchers and zoos mark their tortoises. But that's just for your own edification. Doesn't help at all if the tortoise gets lost.

I think as more and more people start using micro chipping for i.d. purposes, it will become more natural to scan for one. But first we have to change the mind-set of people who find tortoises. They find a dog or a cat and their first thought is to try to find the owner. But they find a tortoise and they say, "Oh, wow! A tortoise. Let's put it in the back yard."

Status
Not open for further replies.