How do I tell my tortoise that she is doing something wrong.

Kid awesome 11

Location (City and/or State)
Fenton (st.louis)
With dogs you can just say no and they will stop doing what they’re doing but how do make a tortoise stop doing what they’re doing if they’re doing something wrong.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pick him up and move him to another location. Try to take his interest off the activity and onto something new. A piece of food, for example.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
But if he's climbing the walls or scratching at the corners, that probably means the enclosure is too small.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Reptiles do what they do. It isn't "wrong" like a dog peeing on the rug.

What is the tortoise doing that you want it to stop? You need to understand why it is doing that, and change something in the environment to stop the behavior. Rather than "training" the tortoise to stop, you change the environment to avoid the problem.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I would not attempt any type of dicipline with a tortoise. I would try to figure out what I’m doing wrong and can change.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am afraid you cannot train your tortoise. A biting tortoise is defending its territory... it can also be sexual behaviour. Biting may not be attractive to humans, but things work differently in the shelled world.

If your tortoise is biting you then it means either:

1. You are in your tort's enclosure. Don't go in there... Or if it's your back yard then wear shoes to protect your feet.

2. Your tort is in your space... Being allowed to roam your house. This is never recommended as a tortoise out of its enclosure is away from the heat, humidity and UVB that it needs to be healthy. It is also at risk of escape or being stepped on ... We see both far too often on this forum; you only have to be distracted for a moment. the third risk is eating something it shouldn't - dust bunnies and hair are a particular problem that cause gut blockages... Another problem seen too often on TFO.

Have an enclosure that's properly set up and big enough for your tort so it can live stress free. We are more than happy to check over photos of the enclosure and lighting to help you perfect it :)

Joe's method of making his presence felt was to ram your ankle - a painful experience. You learned quickly to defend yourself when innthe garden by making sure the sole of your shoe pointed toward him and took the blow instead of your ankle bone.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I am afraid you cannot train your tortoise. A biting tortoise is defending its territory... it can also be sexual behaviour.
My young torts are still not very territorial yet, but they already bit me when they were just a few days old. I guess my fingers just look like fat worms or slugs - delicious! :D