HOW DO I GET IT TO YOU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was just wondering. If someone else post a question or problem and no one has answered it and i want to get someone that I feel has more experience to help with that problem/question, can I and how do I do that? How do I get that person/persons to see the post and ask them if they could respond to it?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
wellington said:
I was just wondering. If someone else post a question or problem and no one has answered it and i want to get someone that I feel has more experience to help with that problem/question, can I and how do I do that? How do I get that person/persons to see the post and ask them if they could respond to it?

You can PM the person and ask them to look at that thread.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is it okay, (forum rules/procedures) for me to pm the person and ask them to read the thread or do/should I tell the person with the post to pm the person? I don't want to step on toes or go against the current of the forum:D Sometimes I see a post that I feel is important for the poster to get anwers right away. I do what I can for them, but would also like to know that I can get someone else that I feel could do more to see and answer.:D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Barb it is perfectly fine to do it either way. I have done it both ways myself. The main thing is to get help to the folks needing it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you. I know the feeling of having a sick pet and wanting help NOW! I always try to answer the post with what I can and when i can't help them i like to at least let them know they are not just hanging, that some one will come along and help with their problem. With the pm, and my list i am putting together, of tortoise keepers, maybe I can get the help there a little faster.
By the way, i don't think you would mind, but you are one on my list:D. I am keeping a list of who I think i would want help from if I had their species of tortoises. Those are the people i will be sending the pm's too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I usually "copy" the thread URL address up above, then "paste" it in PM addressed to the person I want to take a look at it. I do it all the time to GBTortoises when questions come up about the Mediterranean tortoises and I don't know the answer.

M

Maggie Cummings

You can also just tell the OP to ask so and so for help. You can let the OP Pm the person...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hehehe, I keep getting reponses from the people on my list. This is great. Yes you guessed it, your on it also. Along with a few more that haven't posted here, yet:D
Also thanks for the great advice, everyone.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I often PM drexotic when someone has a question that is more medical related and needs an expert doctors advice, I think most people here won't mind receiving a PM informing them someone needs their help.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I agree. I'd send a PM. Other forums I've used have had a great feature where you were notified every time you were quoted, so someone could put your username in quote tags, but just write 'hello' inside it, and you'd be notified that you were 'being called upon'.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Is it OK for us members to BUMP a message? I've done it, but I wasn't sure if that is OK.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do what Yvonne does. Its so much easier for the person giving the help if they can just click on the link instead of having to hunt for the thread.

I also use any and all of the methods listed so far to get help to people, and I think "bumps" are fine too.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Utah Lynn said:
Is it OK for us members to BUMP a message? I've done it, but I wasn't sure if that is OK.

If it is a current message, then certainly. Something six months back from somebody who never came back is more questionable in my mind, but still is not a "violation" of any kind. :p :D OR if it is a question you are curious about, that may not have gotten fully answered to your own satisfaction, then yes of course bump it. ;)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have done it a lot, and I have always gotten great help from everyone I have PM'd

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, now I need your guy's help before I can try to send a pm for someone else.
How do you bump? Because I have just posted something on the post so it will get back into the first page of todays post. Is that what you mean by bump?

Also, I am not sure what Yvonne and Tom are talking about. The link, are they talking about the title of the post, or what shows up in the search bar of the computer?
I am not computer savvy, nor am I forum savvy, and I do most of this stuff from my iPad, which I am even less savvy on than a computer .:p Every day you learn something new:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Up at the top of every page is that page's url address. For instance, this page's address is:

www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-HOW-DO-I-GET-IT-TO-YOU?pid=381692#pid381692

So you hold down your left mouse and run it across that address, highlighting it. then you right click on it and choose "copy". That pulls it into your computer. Then you type up your PM and when you right click on the PM, you click on "paste." that puts the URL address in the PM and your addressee only has to click on it to see what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.