How deep do Greeks burrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TanknTurbo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
I'm helping a friend build an outdoor enclosure for a tortoise I rehomed to her ("Tank," the little booger!), and we were wondering how deep the fence/perimeter would need to be to properly contain him. He's a very strong adult Greek Ibera and I know they like to burrow. We're in Austin, TX so the heat will be a factor in the summer. Thanks!!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Ibera are not considered burrowers under normal conditions. None of my Ibera, young or adults have ever shown any signs of wanting to dig at all when outdoors (or indoors). The walls of all of my outdoor enclosures are about 4" deep with 12" exposed above ground.

TanknTurbo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX
Thanks for your response! I had read that they will burrow to cool off in warm weather. Can't beat experience though - thank you!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
If given proper shelter they probably won't be very inclined to dig. Some of mine will occasionally find a favorite spot under a bush or grass hassock and scrape away a small spot in the dirt to escape the mid day heat but that is about the extent of their digging.

The only Testudo species that I have ever been aware of actually burrowing is Russian tortoises. Mine do so in the fall when the daylight and temperatures change with winter coming.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Mine have never burrowed either. They kind of just scoot under the top layer of dirt. My fence line is dug down 8 inches - 12 inches though.

Status
Not open for further replies.